PDA

View Full Version : Corian update.

John Miliunas
03-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Hey folks, don't mean to beat this one to death, but I promised an update to my Corian thread a few days ago and here it is.

First, let me thank all the folks who came in with recommendations. All were read and considered and some put into practice. *Effectively, I might add!* You guys are GREAT!

So, what did I find? First, the problem with blowing out the material at the end of the bore. I took Scott's suggestion and cut my blanks longer than necessary. Set the depth on my DP to adequately cover the tube. I drilled at @1200rpm w/DC extracting the debris. After boring the hole, I simply cut the solid end off, exposing the bore. The rest of the procedure follows the usual steps in prepping and turning as one normally does for wood. Almost. As our resident pen king, Ken S. stated, a heavy hand on the lathe tool(s) is not the proper protocol here. Nice, steady, light passes do the job quite well. I found a sharply honed skew does the best. I finished up with light wet-sanding, up to 2400 micro-mesh (I know...Probably overkill, but nice results.) Then polish and assembly.

As an aside, before trying the stopped method of boring, as suggested by Scott, I took two pieces of matching Corian and used some of the medium CA glue ("Gap Filling") to bond them together. A nice even coat and clamped overnight. I ran my bore, right square between the two the next day, trimmed to size and turned. After careful inspection from, at least, four people, no seam could be detected, so the CA does indeed do a nice job.

All in all, a nice experience with a new (to me) medium and I plan on doing a fair amount of it, as long as my free material supply doesn't dry up. Again thanks to all for your advice and for those who may have been contemplating giving a try, I heartedly encourage it! :cool:

Jim Baker
03-19-2003, 11:41 PM
It's always nice when something new works out.

Clem Wixted
03-20-2003, 7:45 AM
Thanks for the update and the impetus to experiment with this proven medium.

I'm even cleaning off my lathe after being unused for 10 years so I can make some pens.

I'm having trouble findind gap filling CA. Neither WalMart nor Lowes have it. I'll try Hobby Lobby next. Then it will have to be mail order. Can it be mailed? :-)

Clem

John Miliunas
03-20-2003, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by Clem Wixted
Thanks for the update and the impetus to experiment with this proven medium.

I'm even cleaning off my lathe after being unused for 10 years so I can make some pens.

I'm having trouble findind gap filling CA. Neither WalMart nor Lowes have it. I'll try Hobby Lobby next. Then it will have to be mail order. Can it be mailed? :-)

Clem

Clem, if you have a Woodcraft, Rockler or similar nearby, they should have it. As I recall, CA is a real popular glue for modelers, as well, so the hobby store may be a good bet. If all else fails, I don't believe there's any problem with having it mailed/shipped and is widely available via Internet vendors. Good luck and have phun! :cool:

Clem Wixted
03-20-2003, 9:03 AM
John,

I now live in Jonesboro, Arkansas. There is nothing nearby :-)

Memphis is 80 miles away :-(

There are a few hobby shops here in town and I'll try them.

I just cut some pieces for Dennis and I did notice that this Surrel is somewhat brittle, as Ken said it would be.

Clem

Lars Thomas
03-20-2003, 10:08 AM
I have some 1/2" thick Corian left over from a project. I'd like to make some pens. When I make pens I usually start with 3/4" material. Can I use the CA glue to get to 1" stock and saw down to 3/4"?

Ken Dolph
03-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Lars,

Yes you can glue up and cut down. If you build a 1"x1" square rod you can cut it in half diagonaly (set saw for 45 degrees). Cut the tips of the triangle off and you will have a blank with a minimum cross section of 0.65" which may be enough for your turnings. You will get two pens for 1.

This tip is from the free information available from our website below.

I hope this helps
Ken

Tom Sweeney
03-20-2003, 11:27 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words :D

Sounds like you're having fun - lets see the results :cool:

John Miliunas
03-20-2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
A picture is worth a thousand words :D

Sounds like you're having fun - lets see the results :cool:

OK, OK, I get the *hint*! I'll try and grab a quick shot this evening. Nothing to write home about, because I used one of the more "bland" pieces to test with. It was ideal, because it represents some of the smallest (thinest) scrap that was given to me. If I didn't blow that one out, the rest should be a piece of cake! :cool:

Scott Greaves
03-21-2003, 9:54 PM
Hey John!

Thanks for letting us know your results! I didn't think you'd have anything but success! I would love to see a picture!

Clem - There ain't nothin' in Blackfoot Idaho either! :cool: I usually mail-order my CA glue. There are lots of places that sell it - but you can probably get a pretty good price right from one of the main manufacturers - Starbond.

Scott.

John Miliunas
03-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Like I said, nothing to write home about, but it was neat to see how much feature I could get out of what was a relatively marginal blank. Scott, thanks again for your tips! Great help! :cool:

Scott Greaves
03-22-2003, 2:10 PM
Nice pen John! I like the detail in this pen.

Here's a suggestion for something fun you can try with Corian. Next time you turn a slimline kit from Corian, turn down to where you have just flat faces on your pen barrels, then remove the center bushing. Turn the pen so it's a little thicker in the middle, and leave out the center band when you assemble it. The nice fine grain pattern in most Corian makes it so the joint in the middle almost disappears. People think it's cool that the joint is so tight you can't see it. And they like the thicker, shorter profile in the pen. Have fun!

Scott.

John Miliunas
03-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your kind words and, just as importantly, the cool tip! I've got plenty of material to mess around with and I'll certainly give that a shot. Sounds neat. :cool: