PDA

View Full Version : which tools in drawers and which on the wall?

James Baker SD
05-16-2009, 2:02 AM
If you have a nice bench with tool storing drawers underneath and pegboard for hanging tools on the wall, which tools do you put on the wall and which do you keep in the drawers?

Do you make the decision based on tool type or how frequently you use it?

Thanks, James

Dan Forman
05-16-2009, 3:18 AM
I tend to put smaller things in the drawers, or things that I don't want to get knocked off and dinged, like the Starrett combo square. Other things to think about would be items that you are not likely to need once something is clamped to the bench in front of the drawer housing it.

Dan

Cody Colston
05-16-2009, 7:47 AM
Generally speaking, measuring and marking tools in dawers, dust-proof tools (like end wrenches) on the wall.

Greg Deakins
05-16-2009, 8:48 AM
For just about any given tool, I have accumulated multiple. I think I have around twenty types of hammers. My best tools, or the most frequently used of a certain tool, will go on the wall. The drawers under my bench hold multiples, for the times I might want to use a tool for something beyond its limitations or purpose, like a screwdriver as a wedge. I will reach for the older worn out screwdriver of course. A full set of wrenches on the wall both standard and metric is handy if they are organized, again, there are likely four more complete sets in tool boxes and and drawers, but I am a pack rat of tools.

glenn bradley
05-16-2009, 9:25 AM
I used to group tools by type like in a catalog. I still do that with seldom used tools in cabinets and drawers, but not near the heart of the shop. Tools that I use regularly in a given area are kept there:

steel rules hang on a bench leg
chisels, mallet, scrapers and measuring and marking favorites are in at drawer under the bench
frequently used small clamps are on the wall to my right along with hand saws and a wall hanging box-o-dogs
other clamps are further back, specialty and super long clamps are in drawers or hang across the shop or even overhead, out of the way
small power tools are in drawers in my rolling worktable which is mostly used as a table (don't pass up any storage possibilities)
Sharpening, mortising, drilling and other jigs are in a cabinet and retrieved and returned as needed
drills and associated items are in drawers by the DP
drawers in the RT for that stuff
blades and ZCIs in a rack near the TS
safety items, foxtail brush, calipers, flashlights are at the various workstations
In my experience, things worked out best by not trying to plan too far ahead while keeping an eye on where I wanted to end up. I have rearranged many times and feel that I am getting close (yeah, right). Watch what items you are frequently having to cross the room for or the items you frequently leave out because if you put them away . . . they're over there; create storage for those items where you use them and have fun.

Doug Mason
05-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Start building things--and the process of "natural selection" will fall into place as to where to keep or put "this & that"; just like your floor plan, you can spend alot of wasted time over-thinking these things--just as I did!! Personally, I found I don't like to keeo any tools in drawers (I have them all hanging).

John Coloccia
05-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I keep the stuff I use everyday on the wall. It's a pretty small and odd collection. Everything else goes somewhere else.

One thing I've started doing is I get those Kobolt magnetic strips (I think Lowes still sells them) and I slap one on each large machine. Bandsaw, Jointer....that sort of thing. Every tool I need to work on that particular machine is stuck on the magnet so I can make whatever adjustments I want with absolutely no looking. Very slick.

Jamie Buxton
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Big objects like clamps go on walls; they can't fit in drawers. Bulky objects like circular saws and routers go on shelves; they don't easily hang on the wall, and don't easily fit in drawers. Little objects like screwdrivers and chisels go in drawers.

Jason White
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Have been struggling with this issue myself, lately.

I'm finding that things I reach for frequently (especially during assembly) work better on a wall next to the workbench -- squares, deadblow hammers, chisels, drills, glue, etc. I hate pegboard because the pegs fall out every time you remove or put back a tool. I find that things like open shelves, hooks, and "cubbies" work better for me.

All the other stuff that tends to collect on any nearby horizontal surface works better in a drawer or wall-mounted cabinet.

Jason

If you have a nice bench with tool storing drawers underneath and pegboard for hanging tools on the wall, which tools do you put on the wall and which do you keep in the drawers?

Thanks, James

glenn bradley
05-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I hate pegboard because the pegs fall out every time you remove or put back a tool.

Just like cheap tools, cheap pegs don't work very well. These (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2524&TabSelect=Details) changed my opinion of the usefulness of pegboard (but I do understand your feelings):)

Jim Kountz
05-16-2009, 4:53 PM
safety items, foxtail brush, calipers, flashlights are at the various workstations

Ah a flashlight eh? No doubt to assist those tired old eyes in the dark corners of the shop ol buddy?? :D:D:D:D

Jim Becker
05-16-2009, 6:36 PM
Personally, I don't prefer pegboard for anything and keep all my tools in drawers or other containers, cabinets, etc.

Todd Burch
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I can't stand pegboard. Me and it just don't get along.

Jim Rimmer
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks, James

Tools on pegboards? Tools in drawers? Most of my tools are laying on the workbench. :cool:

Seriously, though, it is a combo of what lends itself to hanging on a pegboard securely (wrenches, screwdrivers) and when did you acquire the tool. If the pegboard is laid out for the tools you had, then there is not likely going to be room for a new tool.

Leigh Betsch
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I tell people that my shop isn't messy, I just like my tools where I can see them.;)
Ok I like drawers best but I haven't taken the time to make drawers for everythng yet, so it's peg board untill I get time to make more drawers.

Greg Hines, MD
05-17-2009, 1:52 AM
Lets see, I have two full walls of tools, on pegboard mostly, two three-drawer cabinets with wrenches and sockets in two of the drawers, a wall mounted tool cabinet, outfitted with more pegboard inside and outside the doors, and still end up with tools on my bench.

I sympathize with people who don't like pegboard, but they give you those little plastic clips when you get the hooks. Use them, they work. For the pegboard I have on my router table and the tool cabinet, all the pegboard hooks are held in place with those clips, and they keep everything where it is supposed to be.

Doc

Angie Orfanedes
05-17-2009, 7:26 AM
Used to hang tools on the wall - on pegboard with the Sharpee outline. But I never put them the tools back in their correct places. Now I keep all my tools in drawers or cabinets. For some drawers like sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers I have made "holders" that have each tool spot labeled. It is easy to see what's missing. This has helped me keep my tools organized. I try to put my tools back in the right place at the end of every day. Then I can sweep/blow out my shop and it looks organized for 12 more hours until I start on something again.

Jason Hanko
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Just like cheap tools, cheap pegs don't work very well. These (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2524&TabSelect=Details) changed my opinion of the usefulness of pegboard (but I do understand your feelings):)

Cheap pegs work just fine, if you install these optional hold-em-in brackets (sold separately, of course, but found at most hardware stores really cheap).

Joe Jensen
05-18-2009, 12:26 AM
I have little wall space in my shop. I do have shelves above my cutoff saw bench where I store my hand held power tools, and I have surplus kitchen upper cabinets mounted on the wall where I have my sandpaper supplies stored. Everything else is in a large rolling tool chest, and drawers all over the shop. In my shop, one wall is completely consumed with garage doors, one wall is lumber storage and the clamp rack, and the other wall has tool boxes, a shelving unit with finishes, jointer, OSS, and compressor.

I've always considered peg board to be low density storage, and given how little wall space I have left, I've never uses any for pegboard.

Of course, I'm 30 years into my tool addiction so I have less space than most :eek:

mike holden
05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
After finding that I was skipping steps in building because it was too much trouble to take a tool out of its box for a quick swipe or two, I built the box to hold my planes above my bench. This was quickly followed by the box to hold my chisels and a few drawers for other tools. Then a rack to hold the small f-clamps that I use so often, then a rack to hold my squares.
Coming soon is a rack for my mallet.

Everything I use often, close to hand

What is in the drawers - rasps, scrapers, and marking/measuring tools

This cabinet holds my specialty planes and marking gages and is just to the left of the bench

A variety of appliances lives just below the benchtop.

It is, and will always be, a work in progress. But I find this to work well for my way of woodworking.

Mike

glenn bradley
05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Absolutely. I find one at the RT and one at the BS (backlighting while setting guides) is real helpful. I left 50 behind a few years ago ;-)