PDA

View Full Version : Tension a Tri-Master

Rick Fisher
05-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone give me some advice on how much tension should be put on a 1" Tri-Master ?

The saw is a 24". The blade is bouncing around pretty steady.. My gut feeling is not enough tension, but its starting to feel like a guitar string..

Probably not much chance of it snappin.. but I have no idea, never broken a blade before..

Rick Fisher
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Well..

Its going back..

Mark Godlesky
05-16-2009, 1:18 AM
There was a recent thread where the OP was having trouble with his griz BS. He thought he had the blade tensioned as much as possible. He went back and tensioned it more and it smoothed out the operation. Sorry, I couldn't find the thead.

Andrew Joiner
05-16-2009, 1:26 AM
Rick,

What happened? Was the blade not true at the weld?

Brian Kent
05-16-2009, 1:43 AM
There was a recent thread where the OP was having trouble with his griz BS. He thought he had the blade tensioned as much as possible. He went back and tensioned it more and it smoothed out the operation. Sorry, I couldn't find the thead.

That was me. That 3/4" took so much more than a 3/8" or 1/2". I am curious what it takes to tension a 1" blade.

Rick, did you determine the blade was the problem?

Brian

Rick Fisher
05-16-2009, 2:23 AM
Yup..

Here is a picture.. I emailed it to the company I bought it from.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140232.jpg

If you click on this next shot, its a video of me spinning it by hand.. its bowed on the front as well..

I figure it would break at the weld in short order..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/th_P1140222.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/?action=view&current=P1140222.flv)

Too bad.. it appears that too much of the blade is bowed to just cut it a bit shorter..

Jeff Willard
05-16-2009, 8:40 AM
.. but I have no idea, never broken a blade before..

When you do, you'll remember it:eek:, and you never get used to it.

Rye Crane
05-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Rick,

I have a MM24 and use the same Lennox band. You need to use at least 30,000# tension. I had an opportunity to ask David Marks about his MM36 and he said he just buries the spring as tight as he can turn the handle.

Looks like the weld is the culprit on your band. Who did you buy it from?

Good Luck,
Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Andrew Joiner
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
To bad. It seems so easy to check for that before they weld or for sure before they send you the blade.

Jacob Mac
05-16-2009, 12:04 PM
You might want to try getting your next blade from Iturra design. The are very friendly, have good prices, and good service. I have saved money buying blades from them and never had a problem.

Rick Fisher
05-16-2009, 2:30 PM
Rick,

I have a MM24 and use the same Lennox band. You need to use at least 30,000# tension. I had an opportunity to ask David Marks about his MM36 and he said he just buries the spring as tight as he can turn the handle.

Looks like the weld is the culprit on your band. Who did you buy it from?

Good Luck,
Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Rye.. Mine is called an SCMI-600,(built by Centauro) which is basically a MM-24, but 20 years old, and can only resaw 13" tall.. I absolutely love this saw. I put a new 5hp Baldor motor on it when I bought it. It was 3 phase, and I couldnt wrap my head around phase conversion at the time..

I purchased the blade from Fastenal. I dont think its a bad company issue, I think its just a crappy weld.. its not a bad company until they give me a hard time about getting it back.. :)

Jim Becker
05-16-2009, 6:38 PM
Yea, that video definitely shows that the blade is "off" and a replacement is in order.

John Thompson
05-16-2009, 7:16 PM
A bad weld can happen with any of the companies and probably more often late Friday afternoon on the assemlby line. :) The first thing I check before I un-coil one is the weld which is more common than getting a bad tooth set.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Mike Cutler
05-16-2009, 9:19 PM
Rick

Yep, that blade looks a little whacked. Stick it out with the Tri-Master though. They're wicked expensive, but man do they perform well.
I've had mine for a few years now and really like it.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-16-2009, 11:25 PM
That's a good way to take the fun out of a new blade! The replacement will be worth the wait, Trimaster is good stuff.

Rick Fisher
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
It was actually quite cheap. .. well.. considering..

I paid $218.00 Canadian for 179", or $1.21 per foot.. Its a 1" 3 tpi.

I know that isnt "cheap".. but it seemed like a good deal. That is about $1.05 a foot USD.

I think the similar one from Laguna was $1.70 USD per foot.