PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install your own central air conditioning?

Dan Friedrichs
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking of installing central air in a relatively new (2001) house that currently uses forced air heating (ducts already in place). Seems like a simple procedure, if I can get an HVAC guy to charge the system up once installed. Anyone done this themselves?

Todd Burch
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I did a lot of my own work out in the garage. The neighbor's house burnt down several years ago and he gave me his 3.5 ton Rheem unit. I hauled it over, poured a concrete pad, ran electric, ran the copper lines from outside to the attic. Then my A/C buddy friend brought over a very slightly used evaporator coil and 100K BTU heater and we did that together. I did the plenums and flex duct. He welded up the copper lines and charged it up.

No big deal.

Bryan Berguson
05-16-2009, 8:29 AM
I installed my own Geothermal heat pump myself. If you're handy at all and aren't afraid of asking some questions I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Instead of Central AC though, you may want to consider an air source heat pump. Dual purpose and shouldn't cost much more. Maytag makes (labels) a unit now with a 12 year replacement warranty.

Bryan

Jim Kountz
05-16-2009, 5:10 PM
Sure did, just opened the winder and stuck it right in there!! LOL

Ted Shrader
05-16-2009, 6:08 PM
Dan -

Just did a heat pump replacement myself, but adding an evaporator coil and and compressor unit is essentially the same. You will have to do a little ductwork modification to make room for the evaporator coil above (or beside) the air handler, run a lineset out to the condenser unit and put in 220V for the condenser You will also have to run a new thermostat connection to the condenser.

I got my stuff from Alpine Home Air (http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm?categoryID=125). Very pleased with their service, selection and prices. Would definitely buy from them again.

Ted

Gary Click
05-16-2009, 8:04 PM
I have also done mine as well. If you are handy and can solder the lines it shouldn't be a problem.

Dan Friedrichs
05-16-2009, 8:16 PM
Sure did, just opened the winder and stuck it right in there!! LOL

Jim, that made me laugh :)

Thanks for all the ideas. At first, I thought this was the kind of thing that only a HVAC guy could do. After reading about it, I'm amazed at the simplicity. Seems like the borgs could make a killing selling "DIY central air" kits.

I was looking at Alpine Home Air, but their prices seem a little high compared to a few other places I've found.

Conveniently, there's already a space in the air handler for the coil to sit (or maybe that's not convenient, because now I have to find a coil that fits that exact size box :) )

I think I'll do it! Thanks for the encoragement!