PDA

View Full Version : Weather Proofing Corian

Robert Wilson
05-15-2009, 9:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am making a sign out of corian and color filling some text. It will be mounted on a play structure. I plan to use either acrylic or oil paints for the color fill. My questions are which paint type would you use and what should I coat it with to make it resistant to fading in the sun/weather.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Scott Shepherd
05-16-2009, 9:06 AM
1 Shot paint is outstanding. It holds up well outdoors and it flows like magic. It's what sign painters use to paint signs made for outdoors. Search for 1-shot.

Larry Bratton
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am making a sign out of corian and color filling some text. It will be mounted on a play structure. I plan to use either acrylic or oil paints for the color fill. My questions are which paint type would you use and what should I coat it with to make it resistant to fading in the sun/weather.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Since Corian is solid acrylic, I usually fill it with Krylon. I spray out what I am going to use in an old tin can, apply it with a brush. I then use WD40 to clean off the excess without doing any sanding. You can, of course, sand it, if you prefer, but the WD40 method is quick.

Keith Outten
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Robert,

I haven't found any paint that won't stick to Corian yet, the better quality paints will last longer as Scott suggested.

You don't need to put any weather proofing on Corian, it will last approximately 50 years outside according to Dupont. When it starts to look dirty wash it the same as you would your car with a little soapy water then rinse. You can also clean Corian with Windex or any similar product.

I have a lot of exterior Corian signs installed, some are five years old that look as good today as the day I installed them.