PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Sites (E. Canada & New England)

Dan Stuewe
08-11-2004, 3:47 PM
My wife and I are going on an Autumn cruise of New England and Eastern Canada this October. Its our first cruise so everything is new to us. We have stops at Halifax, N.S.; St. John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, Maine; Boston and Newport, R.I. (oh yeah, we start/stop in New York, NY)

The most interesting shore excursion is at a crystal factory in Halifax where you tour the facility and get to take a turn blowing some crystal. The only problem is it is $450 a person. Anyway, we just wanted to know what others might offer as good tours, places to see etc at these locations.

Thanks,

Aaron Koehl
08-11-2004, 4:09 PM
Well, definitely the lobster in Maine. And there's a place called Gritty's there in Bar Harbor that has a microbrew that will put you in your seat (or keep you there). ;)

Rich Konopka
08-11-2004, 5:53 PM
My wife and I are going on an Autumn cruise of New England and Eastern Canada this October. Its our first cruise so everything is new to us. We have stops at Halifax, N.S.; St. John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, Maine; Boston and Newport, R.I. (oh yeah, we start/stop in New York, NY)

The most interesting shore excursion is at a crystal factory in Halifax where you tour the facility and get to take a turn blowing some crystal. The only problem is it is $450 a person. Anyway, we just wanted to know what others might offer as good tours, places to see etc at these locations.

Thanks,
Stop in at the Lie Neilson factory in Warren Maine. http://www.lie-nielsen.com/about.html. Booth Bay Harbor, Pemaquid Point Light House, the drive along the coast between Salisbury Mass and PortsMouth NH (My Favorite) is beautiful.

I would also recommend the Berkshires (Lee ,Tanglewood, N.Adams Mass). and the White Mountains (Conway and Wolfeboro NH). Manchester Vermont..

Dave Dionne
08-12-2004, 8:17 AM
Hi Dan

What is your cruise dates? I'm born and raised in New Hampshire, My MIL and family is from just north of Bar Habor pronounced Baa Habaa kind of like sheep talk, hum sheep talk... Maine... how scary (sorry local humor) If you give me some dates I'll put some stuff together for you and send it out. If you are into history Salem Ma is only a short drive from Boston home of the infamous witch hunt and trials,While in Boston you can walk the freedom trail and go to and tour OLD IRONSIDES that is fun. From there Bunker Hill memorial is another short walk. Let me know and I will help in any way I can. If you have time maybe treat you folks to a home cooked meal during your travels.

Dave

Rob Russell
08-12-2004, 8:32 AM
LOLM and I have been on a few cruises before (Caribbean, not up here), but I have apretty good idea of what sort of time allowance you'll have at the various stops. Rich K. points out some beautiful areas, but they're not too reachable in the 8-10 hours you'll have at each port.

You're basically stopping at the tourist traps, so - as a native New Englander - here's what I'd do.

N.S. and N.B. - never been there, so can't comment. It's been forever since we were in Maine and so I won't comment about there either.

In Boston, there will likely be a bus or walking tour of the city. I'd do that. It's a quick way to get exposure to the historical significance of the city, which is really what's most important about Boston. Lunch at either Durgin Park (at Fanuel Hall) or the Union Street Oyster House would be great. Durgin Park has always been famous for large portions and surly waitresses.

In Newport, take a tour of the mansions. You'll get a quick view of opulence that is, in some ways, more than Hearst Castle in San Simeon. The Newport mansions aren't as big as Heart Castle area-wise, but the money that was spent to build them (and what it would take to recreate them now) is rather overwhelming. The Newport mansions are a snapshot of a lifestyle that won't likely be repeated.

Rob

Glenn Clabo
08-12-2004, 8:55 AM
I live on the same island as Newport...You didn’t say the dates or ship…so here’s some info…

Newport –

I can be more specific if you give me a hint of when…and what your interested in.

If you like old buildings take a stroll around the Newport Waterfront, where you’ll be docked or ferried to. There are lots of restored buildings and homes of the Colonial Era. Waterfront is nice…full of great restaurants and shops.

Lots of boat builders around.

Providence is a cool small city. Take the ferry…

If you’re here Nov 5-7 – GREAT furniture/woodworking, etc show in downtown Providence.

www.finefurnishingsshow.com/ (http://www.finefurnishingsshow.com/)

If you like tennis – The Hall of Fame is here

www.tennisfame.com/ (http://www.tennisfame.com/)

If you like mansions…

www.gonewport.com/whattodo/cultural-mans.htm (http://www.gonewport.com/whattodo/cultural-mans.htm)

Halifax –

DrLOML (a Canadian) and I love Peggys Cove…a little side trip (every ship has a shore excursion there) that’s worth the trip. Book in advance.

www.peggys-cove.com/ (http://www.peggys-cove.com/)

Boston –

Great city…walk around…take the trolley tour.

Go whale watching if it’s the right time.

Go see the USS Constitution

www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/ (http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/)

Stop by North Bennet Street School

Jim Becker
08-12-2004, 9:04 AM
If you get to Halifax, you really should try and hook up with Andy London. His place is just out of town and he does wonderful framing work with exotics. He's a member here at SMC as well as the main forum host at WOOD Online, too. Great guy. (I you are creative, you may be able to slip a little turning stock into your stateroom, too...)

Dan Stuewe
08-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas (I knew the folks here would be more than helpful!)

Our cruise is from Oct 17th - 24th. I already talked to my wife about running down to Lie-Nielsen. She seemed interested, but it looks like it is 2-1/2 hours each way so that might be tough, especially if we want to do one of the tours of Arcadia.

We're debating about taking one of the tours of Boston or just taking a cab to some central spot and doing our own thing (LOML, wants to stop by the bar that inspired "Cheers"). I've been through these areas before on a looooong road trip the summer between my Junior and Senior years in High School (1986).

We can do quite a few things here in California (whale watch, see mansions - we went to college 1/2 hour or so from Hearst Castle, I even found that San Diego has quite a few glass artists that have one day classes for beginners). Kayaking or biking at some of the spots sounds great, but neither of us are in any shape to do much of either (unless we want the rest of the cruise to be remembered for the sore muscles!)

Again, Thanks for the info! I'll send my wife a link to this thread and we'll talk about it. I really hope we can find time to meet with a Creeker or two. I haven't had the chance, but I'm sure it would be a great time for us.

Glenn Clabo
08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Dan...
Cheers...
http://www.cheersboston.com/index_bh.html

Kurt Aebi
08-12-2004, 1:26 PM
Dan,

Biking or Kayaking - At Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island isn't far from there and there usually is a Nature Trail Excursion that is available throught the cruise line that could be of interest to you.

St. John, N.B. - Campobello Island (FDR's summer retreat) isn't very far from there and in the Bay of Fundy you can see the world's largest whirlpool and visit some salmon farming operations.

Sounds like fun, enjoy the DownEasT!!!!!!!

Rich Konopka
08-12-2004, 10:20 PM
LOLM and I have been on a few cruises before (Caribbean, not up here), but I have apretty good idea of what sort of time allowance you'll have at the various stops. Rich K. points out some beautiful areas, but they're not too reachable in the 8-10 hours you'll have at each port.

You're basically stopping at the tourist traps, so - as a native New Englander - here's what I'd do.

N.S. and N.B. - never been there, so can't comment. It's been forever since we were in Maine and so I won't comment about there either.

In Boston, there will likely be a bus or walking tour of the city. I'd do that. It's a quick way to get exposure to the historical significance of the city, which is really what's most important about Boston. Lunch at either Durgin Park (at Fanuel Hall) or the Union Street Oyster House would be great. Durgin Park has
always been famous for large portions and surly waitresses.

In Newport, take a tour of the mansions. You'll get a quick view of opulence that is, in some ways, more than Hearst Castle in San Simeon. The Newport mansions aren't as big as Heart Castle area-wise, but the money that was spent to build them (and what it would take to recreate them now) is rather overwhelming. The Newport mansions are a snapshot of a lifestyle that won't likely be repeated.

Rob

I know I know I know. You have to detour a few extra days. Just Do it !! I agree with Bob.

Newport is charming but not as much as it was. (the Chains came in). Mansions are really cool.

Boston is Great.
BackBay area which is west of the Prudential/Copley Place is real nice. Newbury street is littered with shops and cafes. Commonwealth Ave is a nice stroll to the Boston Common and the Freedom Trail. Try SkipJacks for great Seafood on Clarendon St (right behind Copley Sq) it is much better that Legal Seafood (tourist trap).

Harvard Square and Kendal Square are nice in the fall. They are right across the river and very lively with all of the college students. Helmand on 1st St in Cambridge ( Right next to the Galleria) is a Afganistan Resturant. It is some of the best food I ever had. Honest.

The North End of Boston (Italian section) Prince Street. There is a bakery that makes the best angel wings .. Can anyone help me on the name??? The Daily Catch on Hanover Street is a small awesome resturant. The North End is a short walk from Quincy Market / Faneuil Hall.

HTH.

If you can take a couple of extra days. It is so much different than OC and SoCal.