PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advise.

Dale Garrison
05-15-2009, 6:06 PM
A friend of mine brought me a couple of Silver Maple limbs about 15 inches long. We had a tornado that blew thru here last weekend. Any way the people wants something made out of them. I figured to make a candle holder.
This stuff is wet wet wet. \
Now the question. should I store it for some time to dry out or go ahead and turn them and place them in a paper bag?

dale

John Fricke
05-15-2009, 6:35 PM
If you don't mind the splatter I'd turn them now. If you choose to wait a bit cut off all checking on the ends and liberally paint, or preferably seal the ends with anchorseal.

Keep in mind they will warp, you can either go for the warped look or leave enough material to true them up after they dry. Might get an interesting piece if you turn thin and let warp if it's that wet.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-15-2009, 6:46 PM
One other thing to think about. The Pith will cause splits, too.

Bruce

jim price
05-15-2009, 8:30 PM
I've done this a number of times:
Chop off about a 2" length of the limb.

Use a forestner bit to drill a hole about an inch and a half deep into the end grain. The bit might be about a half inch smaller in diameter than the piece.

Wall-ah, you have a toothpick holder!
You can leave the bark on for a rustic look, and microwave the piece in 20 second increments till it dries. Wait a bit between the 20 second stints in the microwave for the moisture to evaporate. Might crack... but probably won't.
When it's dry you can sand the ends smooth.

Dale Garrison
05-16-2009, 6:25 AM
Thanks you all. Gives me something to go on
dale