PDA

View Full Version : Who made this #80 cabinet scraper?

Roy Wall
05-15-2009, 5:51 PM
Just wondering.....

It uses 2- M6 bolts to hold the blade tight.....and yet is more like a 1/4-24 for the thumbscrew. "Made in USA" is cast into the body.....and a worn off decal remains. Any ideas?

An older Stanley #80 (also pictured) uses the 1/4 - 28 threads.

And for another comparison -- a NEW Stanley (Record) #80 with much smaller diameter thumbscrew.

I was thinking of cutting the scraper blade in half to make new blades. They are 0.041 thick..... Otherwise, the old Stanley actually has a Disston Back Saw Blade that has been cut down to size. It is about the same thickness as the scraper blade. What do you guys do?

Thanks!

Roy Wall
05-15-2009, 5:52 PM
last photos.......

Bill Houghton
05-15-2009, 6:56 PM
The 1/4-24* implies an older tool. I suspect nearly everyone made a No. 80 or similar, so it could be Sargent, Union, who knows?

The metric threads make no sense in that context, though - metric on American tools wasn't common, so far as I know. And the Allen-type (female hex) heads are oddball for this kind of tool, too. I wonder whether some German car mechanic might have picked this up with stripped threads, and rethreaded it to a size of bolt s/he had in the bolt bucket. Kind of odd, though - 6 mm is SMALLER than 1/4", so you wouldn't think you could rethread a hole to fit. Perhaps the original bolts were #12 machine screws, in which case, rethreading to M6 might have meant the new bolts fit the clamp bar while 1/4" wouldn't. Who knows, though - at this point, it's all moderately wild speculation.

Your post raises another question, though: how come you seem to have three No. 80 scrapers? Or did you borrow two of them?

*I recently learned that 1/4"-24 is a National Special pitch ("National Special" meaning, I think, "someone insists on making things in this pitch, and it doesn't fit in National Coarse or Fine"). In addition to its intermittent, idiosyncratic appearance on tools made by Stanley, Sargent, et al, it appeared on early Harleys (perhaps other American bikes - I just know about the Harleys) and railroad equipment.

Wes Grass
05-15-2009, 7:18 PM
Some possibility the M6 were originally #14-24. Nominal diameter of that would be .242, a little bigger than an M6, and the pitch is close enough that they may fit if the thread depth is fairly shallow.

harry strasil
05-15-2009, 7:20 PM
its all about selling replacement parts, I make my scrapers out of old warranteed superiour hand saw blades I pick up for a dollar or two Roy.

Roy Wall
05-15-2009, 7:26 PM
Wes --

Good points on the thread size being close....definately a possibility.

Bill --

Why do I have three? Well, my first one was this Odd Ball #80...used it for years. Two months ago, I came across the Old Stanley - for $5 it's in my pocket. Next, I'm trying to get a replacement thumb screw (for the Old Stanley) and Stanley ended up sending me a brand new scraper!!

You see, the new #80's have a thinner thumbscrew, and they kept getting it wrong on the order.......and well, they did me right and just got me a whole new one:).

Harry -- I've got a spare junk saw (or two)....I'll use it to make some blades.....thanks!