PDA

View Full Version : Sears Craftsman Auto Hammer

Chris Padilla
05-15-2009, 5:46 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911818000P

I'm sure a few have seen the commercials on this nifty looking device.

Anyone have one...anyone seen one...try it out?

Curious curious curious....

:D

Bill White
05-15-2009, 5:49 PM
Sorry. Craftysman lost me a long time ago. One would think that public opinion about their tool quality would cause Sears to re-up the old days when Craftsman stuff was good. :confused:
There! I feel better.
Bill

Dave Lehnert
05-15-2009, 6:02 PM
Sorry. Craftysman lost me a long time ago. One would think that public opinion about their tool quality would cause Sears to re-up the old days when Craftsman stuff was good. :confused:
There! I feel better.
Bill

Looks interesting.

Not too sure that the majority of people would tell you Craftsman has bad quality. On here, YES!. But not the buying public. I am sure us serious woodworkers are not their target customer. John Q Homeowner is who they are after.
If quality (not price) was the main factor the Festool dealer would be packed on weekends but is not. Go to a Harbor Freight and they have 4 registers open and 10 people in each line.

Chris Padilla
05-15-2009, 6:18 PM
I don't buy woodworking stuff from Sears but I have a chest full of wrenches and sockets and such that I'm very happy with and that have served me very well and I'm sure will continue to do so!

This hammer is mighty interesting, however. I'm pretty sure we've all been in situations where we were limited in how much we could swing a hammer.

phil harold
05-15-2009, 7:51 PM
Everyone needs on,
Great little tool to tighten the shims on muffler bearings

Peter Stahl
05-15-2009, 7:57 PM
I bought a air actuated one when I built my deck. Worked really well for doing the hangers. I used that more then my nail gun. Ask the salesperson at Sears if you can get a full refund if you don't like it. If you had a 12V sears cordless drill that used the same battery it would make it a really cheap purchase.

fRED mCnEILL
05-16-2009, 1:11 AM
I have a tool similar to that excerpt that it runs on air. I bought it a few years ago at a wood show as it was cheap and looked like it would come in handy. I have NEVER used it. Not sure why but I presume it is because I have never had a reason to use it.

Fred M.

Craig T. Smith
05-16-2009, 7:14 AM
Chris, It looks like a version of an air palm nailer. I have used one of those, very handy. This one looks very interesting and handyalso. Would like to look at it next time I'm in Sears. I also have many Craftsman - Sears items that I like. Also Harbor Freight ( GASP). Use what you like buy what fits and you can afford. LOL, Craig

Bobby McCarley
05-16-2009, 8:00 AM
Chris,
My wife gave me one of those for Christmas last year. I have used it on several occasions and it works very well. While normally I use a air nail gun or brad gun, there are times when those are not feasible. In tight quarters, it comes in very handy. When I first got it, I tried it on several different size nails in various types of wood. As would be expected, as the size of nail increases or the hardness of the wood increases, it doesn't work as good.
But, it probably was designed to be used with finishing nails or brads.

Is it worth the money, well in my opinion, any new tool is worth the money if it serves the purpose. Especially if it comes from the wife:)

Bobby
Louisiana

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2009, 8:04 AM
Hello Chris,
Tough call..
The hammer appears to share the same battery as the multi tool (the Fein knockoff).
I have a Bostitch palm nailer, which is one of the handiest air tools you can own.
I also have a Dremel Multi Max (another Fein knockoff) which is the perfect tool for some uses - not all, but, for those things that no other tool seems to be good for. Things like cutting the inside corner of trim molding that's already in place.

Combine both of those specialty tools with a common power source - in this case the LiIon 12 V battery, and I can see where it would be a terrific duo.

The only problem I have is - it's a Craftsman.
I got burned so bad on my Craftsman miter saw, I'm afraid it soured me on Craftsman for a long, long time.

I'd be inclined to say spend ~ $80.00 on a Bostitch air palm nailer and be sure you're getting a decent quality tool that will do the job.
Mine will do ring shanks in fences & sinkers in framing work all day long.