PDA

View Full Version : epoxy question

curtis rosche
05-15-2009, 5:32 PM
will bar top epoxy be strong enough to hold together a crack that goes from almost center to the outside of a 7 inch peice, it goes from being nothing to the crack being 1/2-3/4'' wide.

Ryan Baker
05-15-2009, 7:32 PM
Epoxy isn't going to do you any good on a gap of 1/2-3/4". You might try wrapping it tightly with strapping tape or that plastic stretch wrap used on shipping pallets if it only needs a little stabilizing (not if it's all that's holding the piece together). Sounds like it's a good time for a design change.

Gilbert Vega
05-15-2009, 9:33 PM
System 3 sells a structural epoxy that may work. Have not used, just remember seeing it at Woodcraft.

curtis rosche
05-15-2009, 9:39 PM
well. i dont think it needs to be structural, just to fill in the gap so that it doesnt look broken. it is for a set of end grain oak bowls i am going to do out of a log that has been used as a floor joist for the past 200 years

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Curtis I would say if you haven't turned it I would not even give it a second thought and wouldn't turn it. IMO 1/2" to 3/4" crack in my books is a disaster waiting to happen. Better have your face shield on.

curtis rosche
05-15-2009, 10:20 PM
i will post a picture on monday night hopefully

Paul Engle
05-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Curtis, Bernie has the right approach to a fracture that large, the stress may have gone inside that you cannot see and time spinning could stress it out more and as Tim use to say " I been here before , I know the routine " to the ER admitting staff. If not to be turned and just cosmetic, add some binder ( wood chips , saw dust, coffee grounds , etc ) to the epoxy mix to help keep the shrinking down over time ( kinda like fiberglass and resin ) and adding strength to the repair.

curtis rosche
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
what do you mean shrinking down over time?