PDA

View Full Version : Bad morning

David Wilson
08-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Today started offf with a bang. Two vehicles totaled but no one hurt.Guess I needed a new truck any way. No, I won't be buying a ford. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9463&stc=1

Brian Austin
08-11-2004, 11:35 AM
That's totaled? Or were there others involved?

Sorry about your morning. My Monday sucked but nothing like that.
Too bad you didn't have a Ford to begin with. It would have shrugged it off and kept going. ;)

Ken Garlock
08-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your trying to put two vehicles in the same space at the same time. :) Its good that no one was hurt.

Down in this neck of the woods, that picture looks like a well broken-in farm truck. ;)

Are you going to get another Dodge? It would be my second choice behind a "Fix Or Repair Daily." :)

Jason Roehl
08-11-2004, 8:41 PM
That's totaled? Or were there others involved?

Easily. I'd guess that is an early '90s (at the latest) Dodge Dakota, in excellent condition it would be worth maybe $1000-1500 around here. From that pic, I'd guess about $2000-3000 in damage--fender, bumper, grille, hood, headlight/turnsignal assembly, and maybe a few things under the hood. I'm sure Terry Hatfield could tell us, seeing as how he's in the biz...I'm just a shadetree mechanic, er, hack.

Sorry about your bad day, David. Been there, done that.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Sorry about the crunch David. Look at it this way..........with a Monday like that, things can ONLY get better as the week progresses! :D

Oh well...........sometimes you're the Windshield, sometimes you're the Bug! :eek:

Important thing is no one was hurt............that can be the expensive part of any crunch.

Steve Clardy
08-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Hmmm. Yep. Looks like its ready for farm duty.
Glad no one was hurt.:)

Wes Bischel
08-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Bummer David, sorry to hear about that. I would agree with Jason that it's repairable - even if they do total it. As long as the frame is OK, I'd keep it. If the frame is bent then I'd look for the new truck. Thankfully no one was hurt.

These things always seem to take forever to get resolved. Hopefully this will be over quickly and you can get on with life.

Wes

Dan Mages
08-12-2004, 8:13 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Luckily you made it out safe. Do I see a HEMI engine in your future? ;)

Dan

Jim Becker
08-12-2004, 9:11 AM
Oh well...........sometimes you're the Windshield, sometimes you're the Bug!
Now, I was going to say, "Sometimes you bite the bear...sometimes the bear bites you...". Same thing!

David, sorry to see the damage. But trucks and cars can be fixed...human beings are more fragile, so I'm glad it appears "you" didn't sustain any physical harm.

David Wilson
08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
The truck is a 1989 with 130K miles. Frame is bent forward of the front axel. Drivers door no longer opens because fender is pushed back. Waiting to hear back from insurance company to decide if I will replace or fix. Bought this truck in 1990 with 7K miles and it has treated me well. Gets 21mpg on highway. What really makes me mad is that I replaced the Battery 1 week ago and was hoping to get 2 more years out of it.

Brian Austin
08-12-2004, 1:17 PM
Easily. I'd guess that is an early '90s....
Doh! Wasn't thinking about current value compared to repair costs. Yeah, you're right, it's probably totaled.

Chris Padilla
08-12-2004, 2:54 PM
David,

This is one of those times where the truck is more valuable working to you than its dollar value. I have a 1990 Toyota Pick-up with 108k that gets 25 mpg that people keep leaving notes inquiring about acquiring it from me! :) This truck is so solid that if it got totaled, no fair market value of it could make up for its true value to me as a long-ago paid off truck with zero problems and cheap to insure.

Best of luck to you...hope you can find another good truck.

David Wilson
08-12-2004, 3:05 PM
Chris
You got that right. I'm suposed to pick up 300bf of cedar this weekend and I don't think LOML will let me use her PT.

Chris Padilla
08-12-2004, 3:20 PM
Maybe you can line the PT with tarp and promise to clean it afterwards? It should smell nice in there for a little while! :D

Rob Russell
08-12-2004, 4:45 PM
The truck is a 1989 with 130K miles. Frame is bent forward of the front axel. Drivers door no longer opens because fender is pushed back. Waiting to hear back from insurance company to decide if I will replace or fix. Bought this truck in 1990 with 7K miles and it has treated me well. Gets 21mpg on highway. What really makes me mad is that I replaced the Battery 1 week ago and was hoping to get 2 more years out of it.

Frame bent in front of the axle shouldn't affect driveability. If you're the type who drives things 'til they die, compare the cost of fixing this (even with $ out of pocket) to insurance and taxes on a new truck.

Dan Mages
08-14-2004, 1:54 PM
Chris
You got that right. I'm suposed to pick up 300bf of cedar this weekend and I don't think LOML will let me use her PT.

Chris is right. I use old blankets or a tarp for my PT when hauling wood or other items. Its amazing what this little car can do!!

Dan

BTW... here is a woodworking idea for you... maybe a wood floor for your LOML's cruiser?