PDA

View Full Version : rough jointer tables - G0675

Bernie May
05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I purchased the Grizzly 10" G0675 jointer/planer. this is my first jointer and I was surprised that the tables were not completely smooth. they are ridged with the ridges running down the length of the table. This makes it more difficult to align the tables and the cutterhead. Do other jointers have such tables? I am toying with the idea of taking them off and having them machined smooth and flat. Thanks for input.
-bernie

Cary Falk
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
A lot of the higher end jointers have tables like this. It is to help the wood slide easier. When you get a board completely flat it creates a suction and makes it hard to slide across the beds. The groves breaks that suction. I never thought about setting the knives in a situation like that. Maybe somebody with that kind of bed will chime in and give you some help.

Joe Jensen
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
After many years and many jigs, I feel that the best method for setting jointer knives is to use a board resting on the outfeed table. To set the "cutterhead body to outfeed table height, I use a flat board and a feeler guage. My old cutterhead specified .015" between the body and the outfeed table. Once set, I set the knives letting a knife catch a board and drag it as I rotate the cutterhead. When the knife is set so the board move 1/4" it's the right height. I check several places across the width of the knife.

I find this method to be far more accurate than anything with magnetic jigs or dial indicators.

I know have a Byrd so I don't have to mess with it :D

Barry Vabeach
05-15-2009, 9:30 PM
Bernie, the Jet JJP 12 also has ridges - as I understand it , it is a result of a different process used to flatten the tables. I use a straight edge and feeler gauges to set the height of the outfeed table and to get the tables coplanar and have no problems - I use a 3 foot long straight edge and hold it on a slight angle to the fence - that way it crosses at least one of the ridges and the feeler gauges work fine. I wouldn't go to the expense of having the tables ground. Sorry you didn't know about it in advance, it doesn't look as good, IMHO, as a smooth surface. OTOH,as Cary says it is a feature which is said by some to reduce friction. Also it should reduce problems with sawdust. If you had the tables surface ground to .001 flat, and then some sawdust fell on the infeed table, as the board goes over it, it would no longer be perfectly flat since part of the bearh was riding on the sawdust. With the ridges, the sawdust has a place to go without impacting performance. Keep them well waxed and see how you feel about them in a month or so.

Bruce Wrenn
05-15-2009, 10:46 PM
A lot of the higher end jointers have tables like this. It is to help the wood slide easier. When you get a board completely flat it creates a suction and makes it hard to slide across the beds. The groves breaks that suction. I never thought about setting the knives in a situation like that. Maybe somebody with that kind of bed will chime in and give you some help.I think the term is "skin friction," instead of suction.

glenn bradley
05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Grizzly is pretty specific about mentioning these table surfaces in the catalog and online:

"features include finely serrated cast iron tables and aluminum fence, two-piece stand, and fully adjustable fence and guard. "

I assume there is a benefit.