PDA

View Full Version : Went to portland last week

David Weiser
05-15-2009, 1:34 AM
I know, I haven't posted in a while. Been so busy with school I haven't even had time to breathe! :eek:

Like the title says, my father and I visited Portland, OR last week. We went to 3 awesome WW stores over there. First stop was a place called Hall's Tools. Not really actually a woodworking store specifically per-se, but I needed a regulator for our 60 gallon IR compressor. Worked out great and I got a good price. Piped it in when I got home, and long story short is that the compressor works miracles. Also been building a chicken coop so it's nice not to have to hear the little 2 gallon Campbell Hausfeld running ever 9 nails from the framing nailer draw...:rolleyes:

Next stop was a place called Barbo Machiney. Lemme tell ya, what a great store! People were friendly, and they had some cool 'ol iron. Some cool old powermatics and a bunch of great used equipment. Walked away with a Biesemeyer drop-in splitter for the Unisaw.

Next place we went was a place called "Woodcrafters" not to be confused with "The Woodcraft". They have a pretty basic website here http://www.woodcrafters.us/. I would encourage anyone to check out the store if they are ever in Portland, OR. My father and I talked to the very nice gentleman that owns the place for about an hour and a half. Great guy, hell, he even gave us 2 SawStop hats. It now alternates days with my festool hat. :D

Well gentleman and ladies, hope you enjoyed my tale of a fun filled father-son woodworking based bonding day in Portland. There are some more details, but I am too lazy to hammer them out on the keys tonight!

Brad Wood
05-15-2009, 1:16 PM
I've only just heard of Woodcrafters recently and haven't gotten down there yet.

Did you take a look at their wood at all? I hear they have a good selection for reasonable price.

Cary Falk
05-15-2009, 4:42 PM
Woodcrafter's is a neat place. They have a good selection but I buy my wood from CrossCut Hardwood because it is a bit cheeper. I just bought some hard maple today for $4.65 and Woodcrafter's wanted $5.79

David Weiser
05-15-2009, 6:41 PM
Ah, they had a great selection but I did think their prices were a bit inflated. A really cool selection of tools though. Like a Rockler on steroids, lol.

Rod Torgeson
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
David....Where is Hall's Tools located? also Barbo machinery? I used to go to The Tool Peddler but they have closed their doors. I don't go to Portland very often except when I am looking for something specific. Like Cary I also buy most of my wood from Crosscut Hardwoods. Another good place for turning wood is Gilmer's in the northwest area of Portland. http://www.gilmerwood.com/ For lumber Crosscut Hardwoods seem a little less then Woodcrafters. I do like to look around at Woodcrafters though.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Cary Falk
05-16-2009, 5:25 PM
Rod,
Here is Barbo's website. I have not been there before. I look at their used tool section often. They have a lot of used stuff but not what you would call a bargin.
http://www.barbomachinery.com/

David Weiser
05-17-2009, 3:55 AM
Cary, what the gentleman at Barbo told me is that most of the used stuff is on consignment. Fortunately that means that most of the owners are open to haggling. With an economy like this, people are dumping cast iron left and right for anything they can get for it. It's so sad, but for many it's a reality.