PDA

View Full Version : Cordless electric staple guns and brad drivers

Stephen Tashiro
05-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm impressed enough with the current generation of cordless tools to be interested in getting a cordless electric brad driver and a cordless electric staple gun. But I want tools that use some tool manufacturer's standard 18V or higher batteries. (For example, Arrow makes an electric staple gun, but I don't think it takes a standard battery that would fit things like drills and circular saws.) Anyone have recommendations for such tools?

Julian Wong
05-15-2009, 1:41 AM
It depends on how much you're going to use it. For a regular home owner/weekend warrior, look at the ryobi line of 1+ tools. They have a 18V battery operated nailer/stapler combo. All the tools in the 1+ series use the same 18V battery.

One thing I don't like about nailer/stapler combos is that if you brad nail, it will sometimes leave a dimple in the wood in the shape of the staple head because the nail head is smaller than the staplehead.

Eric DeSilva
05-15-2009, 7:22 AM
I picked up a corded Arrow electric staple gun when I was installing sheeting over insulation. Worst buy ever. The gun would jam up every 10th staple or so, and unjamming it required disassembling the gun.

Arrow's chrome mechanical staplers are pretty much bombproof, but I'd never get another one of their electric staplers. Frankly, I'd probably do what I should have done in the first place and shop around for a pneumatic instead of just waltzing into the borg.

Jeff Monson
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
2nd on the arrow electric stapler, my 1st one quit after about 30 staples, now I have another one and it jams alot, not very impressive unit.

I also have a black and decker cordless brad nailer and this has been a good unit, its 18 volt and came with 2 batteries, it has jammed a couple of times but I've install a ton of moldings with it.

Joe Von Kaenel
05-15-2009, 4:12 PM
Stephen,

I purchased a Dewalt 18 Volt cordless brad nailer about 1 year ago. I use it all the time. It is an awesome tool, the battery charge lasts a long time. However, I would recommend having an additional battery if you are doing a lot of nailing.

Joe

MichaelA Cooper
05-15-2009, 9:35 PM
I bought a $50 Arrow corded brad nailer brand new and the thing is a piece of junk!
It very seldom drives the brad all the way in and it always leaves a dimple in the wood like Julian said!
I seldom use and then only for shop stuff, it's just too much of a pain in the butt.
Shame I'm too honest to sell it to someone else!! :D