PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up Desk

Greg Ware
05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
A friend has asked me to build him a Stand Up Desk. He wants something pretty basic. 18" X 36" top, 45" high. I have searched the net and found lots of pictures, most are more elaborate than he wants. Does anyone have any ideas or know of plans or ?. My only concern would be building legs of sufficient size for stability. Thanks for the help.

Greg

Todd Burch
05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Flat top desk or slanted? I've want to make one of these for eons and never had. I never really had the floor space.

I would make a 3" x 3" leg, and then taper down both inside faces to a 1.5" square foot.

May favorite design would mimic an old school desk, with a slanted writing area that was hinged to a short flat on top. The sides that made up the desk "box" would tenon into the legs.

You could put 3 stretchers maybe 18" from the floor also, one across the back and one from each back leg to the front leg.

Todd

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
This is a standing desk I built a couple years ago. It is darn near what Todd is describing. The desk is made of madrone. The overall dimensions of the desk are 29Wx52Hx26D. The front of the writing surface is 40 1/2" off the floor, and the surface slants up at 11 degrees. (It is not hinged. The drawers below provide sufficient access.) The owner is about 5' 6" tall, and we mocked up the desk to get all the critical dimensions exactly right for him. There's room at the top for little things which might try to roll off the writing surface. There's also a molding which stands up a book or a music score. The legs are about 1 1/2" square. To my eye, they don't look spindly. The desk feels rock solid when you write or lean on it.

Greg Ware
05-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks, that helps.

Greg

John Roth
05-31-2009, 7:55 AM
I built one a while back and went to the Thos. Moser website for inspiration. My legs were from 8/4 solid stock and I thought that it was the right look. I did not taper them, though. Good luck with it!

Mike Null
05-31-2009, 4:07 PM
I seem to recall that there was one in FW 13 or 14 years ago. How do I know? I copied the pictures for a friend who wanted to build it and we both retired shortly after.