PDA

View Full Version : Need some plans for cradle's!

Jim Ketron
08-10-2004, 9:29 PM
:D Thats right if everything goes ok for the next 7 months TWINS:eek: :eek:
So I need 2 of everything.
Anyone have a good place for plans/hardware for cradle's and baby furniture? I never use plans on what I make but I think I will use them for this project. I like the style that Bruce Page made but the little Lady has the final say so. She is into the primitive look. but if I have some she can see to help Her/Me to make up our minds!
Thanks Jim:D

Todd Burch
08-10-2004, 9:33 PM
Jim - you dog you!!! You've REALLY been working overtime - on a workshop & a family!! WOO-HOO!!!

There are a couple on my web site. See the gallery>household - they are all one page.

Todd

Jim Becker
08-10-2004, 9:58 PM
I wondered what kind of exercise you were doing to get in shape for the "shop-raising"!! :D Serously, congratulations.

The good news is that there are tons of cradle designs out there. The bad news is the challenge of picking the right one for you. Most of the magazines have featured a cradle from time to time, as have the TV personalities, woodworking retailers and our "local talent" like Todd!

Joe Mioux
08-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Congratulations Jim

Can't help you on the cradle except go vertical!!!. (bunk beds for the future ww project) I have four kids -- two boys and two girls. If there is anything that I have learned over 13 years (kid #1) is that there is never enough floor space in the kids' bedrooms (for that matter in mom and dad's bedroom as well):eek: .

Best Wishes
Joe

Greg Heppeard
08-11-2004, 9:29 AM
I'd make it from the plans in your head...I'd also do a tandem, something really unusual and original.

Congrats on the additions to the family! ! :D

Bob Hovde
08-11-2004, 9:43 AM
Congratulations! Congratulations! I like the idea of a tandem cradle. Just make it a bit longer than usual. (Babies only use a part of the cradle anyway. By the time they're big enough to use it all, they've moved to a bed.)

Bob

Kurt Loup
08-11-2004, 9:53 AM
Jim,

Here's a cradle I built that is more primitive than most. I built the cradle from a photo in the book, Louisiana French Furnishings 1700-1830. There were no plans, only sizes given. I changed the size to fit a modern cradle mattress. The size came out close to the original. I added more spindles to meet modern safety guidelines. I also built a blanket chest from the same book. It doubles as a changing table. Both were made of cypress with Tried and True oil finish.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/completedcradle.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/completedchest.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Jim......working doubley hard on the shop and elsewhere! :rolleyes: :D Congrats!
Life is good! :D :D

Chris Padilla
08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Jim,

Congrats on the double-trouble! :D One thing I learned about cradles...the kiddies outgrow them pretty fast. Not to take away any fun here but you *might* consider putting more time/effort/money into a nice crib that they will spend a few years in as opposed to a few months for a cradle. Just something to chew on because all your efforts will be x2!

Kent Cori
08-11-2004, 2:09 PM
Jim,

Congratulations on your :) :) !! If you do go with some type of dual cradle, make sure it will work with just one of the little rascals in it. I guarantee they will not be on the same schedule for naps.

Also, make sure you buy two good noise cancelling ear muffs, one for the shop and one for the nursery!

Joe Tonich
08-11-2004, 5:29 PM
Jim,

Congrats! Twins would be SO COOL! Here's the link to the cradle I made for a friend at work: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1183 Once I figured out how to make the angled mortice's, it went OK.

Joe

Fred LeBail
08-11-2004, 5:58 PM
Jim, Double Congrat's. Here is a picture of a cradle that I finished about a month ago and is already occupied by my Grandson.
It is done in oak, as you can see, and has quite a few mortise/tenons, which I have great luck with. It is made to fit a modern size cradle mattress ( 36 x 18) which I think is a little big, especially if you need two in one room.

Fred LeBail
08-11-2004, 6:04 PM
Sorry Jim, picture didn't go. I'll try again.
Fred

Jim Ketron
08-11-2004, 6:14 PM
Thank's Men I have a lot going on!! I need to get in the new shop ASAP got to do FPP and start on the furniture for the new ones .

Todd, Kurt, Joe, Fred those are nice cradles I may use features from all of them and do what Greg sug and make my own design

Fred how did you do the part that swings? Kit? and the lock?
Keep them pics a rolling in!
Thanks Jim

Jim Ketron
08-11-2004, 6:20 PM
Sorry Jim, picture didn't go. I'll try again.
FredThanks Fred I did a search and found your cradle pics
Jim

Larry Browning
08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Jim,
Try this link

http://www.woodprojects.com/plans.php?category=2701&start=0