PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rests

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 3:50 PM
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my tool rest. About ever other time I use the Mustard I get a lot of drag on the tool rest so I file it down as smooth as I can. Invariably, the drag comes back.

On top of that, I'm finding that I have to turn the rest around when shear scraping. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if it's time for a change of rests.

Bestwoods has a nice selection of steel bars, both 3/4" and 1". Robust has those comfort rests with a stainless steel insert to eliminate drag. Anyone replace their stock rests with something else?

Thanks,
Burt

robert hainstock
05-14-2009, 4:01 PM
I think most turners face this dilemma sooner or later. I have several , including the OE cast iron types, (least favorite) several round tops, (the best of which has a HSS 1/4in tool steel rod welded on top. no catches there ever. You might want to investigate any of those. :
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2009, 4:18 PM
Burt - I picked up a couple of Randy's Monster tool rest - a 12" offset and the large curved bowl rest and they are great! They are round stock - which I like - and are made out of tool steel. I have never had a sticking problem with them.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.html

alex carey
05-14-2009, 4:27 PM
have you tried grinding down the corners on your tools, it wouldn't hurt the tool rest as much.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-14-2009, 4:32 PM
That would also be a good use for the perfect pen polish wax stick. Rub the wax on the tool rest. Helps a bit. In addition to rounding off all the corners.

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-14-2009, 5:24 PM
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my tool rest. About ever other time I use the Mustard I get a lot of drag on the tool rest so I file it down as smooth as I can. Invariably, the drag comes back.

On top of that, I'm finding that I have to turn the rest around when shear scraping. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if it's time for a change of rests.

Bestwoods has a nice selection of steel bars, both 3/4" and 1". Robust has those comfort rests with a stainless steel insert to eliminate drag. Anyone replace their stock rests with something else?

Thanks,
Burt
I use a custom made tool rest from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC.
They have a Hardened steel rod top, I think it's 5/16" dia. top if I remember right. Some what like the Robust rest only these are Heavier Duty.
There all hand made by proffessional wood turners. They don't have a web site as it is only a samll 2 man operation. If you have any intrest in them PM me & I will give you their email & or Ph. #.

Wally Dickerman
05-14-2009, 6:55 PM
Check out the Robust tool rest. They don't come any better. A small hardened steel rod secured to the top of the rest. Shaped to fit your hand. I have a 9 inch one and am going to order a 4 inch one. I'm sold.

Wally

Mike Stephens
05-14-2009, 7:15 PM
I use a custom made tool rest from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC.
They have a Hardened steel rod top, I think it's 5/16" dia. top if I remember right. Some what like the Robust rest only these are Heavier Duty.
There all hand made by proffessional wood turners. They don't have a web site as it is only a samll 2 man operation. If you have any intrest in them PM me & I will give you their email & or Ph. #.

How about a couple pics Joe.

David Walser
05-14-2009, 7:18 PM
Burt,

Different tool rest designs have different advantages. For example, many like the tool rests made out of round bar stock. (Steve gave you a link to the Monster Tool Rest, above.) The advantage of this design is that it strong, rigid, and smooth. The disadvantage is it's difficult to get your tool very close to the work. (The Monster Tool Rest is made out of 1" diameter round bar stock. With your tool resting on the top of the tool rest, it has to reach out at least 1/2" to reach the work.) That might not be any disadvantage at all if you're using a large bowl gouge. It might be a material disadvantage if you're working a large diameter spindle and it's 3" to the bottom of a cove. Having to extend your tool an extra 1/2" might result in some chatter when trying to cut that cove.

The Robust Comfort Rest, that Wally recommends, above, allows you to get closer to the work. I've not heard anyone complain that it's not rigid or strong enough, but, since it's made from thinner stock, it might not be as strong as some other designs. Again, unless you're turning humongous bowls, that difference might not matter to you.

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 7:34 PM
I'm leaning in the direction of Robust because they have a 14" that I believe was designed for the 3520 family. I like the 14" size but there are times when I can't get it between the HS and TS, so I may also opt for a 8 or 9 incher too.

Here we go again...falling down the vortex...money down the black hole........

AND, I need a new Vicmarc 120. (Did I say NEED?)

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Burt I have the 4" and 9" robust and just love them.

Ryan Baker
05-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I love my Robust rest too. I don't think you can really do any better. I'll probably get another (longer one) some day. I'm not so much a fan of the round bar rests, as they just seem to keep you too far away all the time. If you do a lot of larger work with a large tool, you may like the round bar rests.

Jeff Nicol
05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Holy Moly!! I could not even think of justifying the cost of the "Monster" rests! I have made a couple of rests out of 1" hardened rod and I have no where near that much money invested. I can buy a 3' piece of A-1 for $36 and shipping from Speedy metals and O-1 for $40 plus shipping. I can make a lot of rests out of that! But I am cheap, thrifty, frugal or whatever you want to call it and will try to make it long before I buy it. I think I can make one comparable to the Robust type for under $10 so I will go that route as money is hard to come by these days.

The cheapskate!

Jeff

David Walser
05-15-2009, 4:03 AM
Holy Moly!! I could not even think of justifying the cost of the "Monster" rests! I have made a couple of rests out of 1" hardened rod and I have no where near that much money invested. ...

Jeff,

It's great that you have the time, skill, and tools to make your own rests. Many of us lack at least one of the three (time, skill, and tools), so buying or going without are our only two options (unless you count finding a tool rest along the side of the road a possibility). Given the superb workmanship of Randy's Monster products (I have one of his articulated hollowing systems) and the similar fine reputation for high quality of Robust's tool rests, I don't consider the prices to be out of line. YMMV.

Jeff Nicol
05-15-2009, 6:27 AM
Dave, I once thought I had no time, no skills, and no tools to build things for myself. But the lack of money to buy them and the desire to have them, gave me the desire, the drive, and mind to learn the skills needed to build things for myself. I was about 10 years old and wanted a bike but there was no money for a bike. So the neighbor kids and I got together and scrounged up bits and pieces of bikes from the dump and from anyone who would give us junk to make what we could from them. In the end we all had cool crazy bikes and learned how to use tools and create what we could not buy! With all this help from parents, neighbors etc. our minds were filled with the dreams of what was to come. So the desire or necessity was, and is the mother of invention, it is always easier to buy what you want or need, but the satisfaction of building it yourself has no equal feeling.

The monstor tools are great looking tools and I am not knocking them at all, so if you have the cash spend it on what you want. But don't knock me for making a statement on how I feel and the way I do things. A little pride goes a long way, and if this world we live in took more pride in everything we would not be where we are today.

Just a humble guy with simple dreams

Jeff

Burt Alcantara
05-15-2009, 8:53 AM
Lately, it seems everytime I rough out a blank I get beat up so I decided to try making an aggressive rougher. I used the Oland tool as a model. Using a 3/8 HSS 5% cobalt cutter, my tool whips through logs like a laser.

When I roughed the first blank, my face cramped up from the big smile I had on my face. I almost didn't care about the turning. I finally had my log killer. And...it was so easy to make.

I began making a list of all the things I wanted to make with metal. Then, reality set in. At this rate, I'd never get any turning done. Even though I'm retired, I don't have finite time. For me, it's a matter of energy and brain capacity. So, I make some things and buy others.

Burt

David Walser
05-15-2009, 1:19 PM
...[D]on't knock me for making a statement on how I feel and the way I do things. A little pride goes a long way, and if this world we live in took more pride in everything we would not be where we are today....

Jeff,

I've re-read what I wrote and I feel I owe you an apology. I wasn't intending to knock you, but I can see how what I wrote came off that way. That's my fault and my only excuse is it had been a long day at work and I must have been too tired to do a better job of conveying my thoughts. If I had it to do over again, I'd have worded things differently.

Some of us just like the feel of a well-crafted tool in our hands and have the means and the willingness to pay for that feeling. Others enjoy the that feeling even more if we made the tool ourselves. Some like turning a lot more than they like making turning tools; others enjoy the process of making a tool as much if not more than they enjoy turning. Paying top dollar for a tool does not make someone a spendthrift any more than making your own tools makes someone else a skinflint.

Ain't life grand? Each of us, more or less, can order things the way we like best.

All of that was intended to be covered by "YMMV". Obviously, that was too much work for a four letter acronym.

Burt Alcantara
05-15-2009, 3:54 PM
All's well that end's well.

I ordered a 9" and 12" rest from Brent (Robust).

Roger Alexander
05-15-2009, 4:20 PM
Hi all, I also will make some of my tool rest. But I'm cheat and just use cold rolled steel. So far I have never broke one of gotten hurt. One other thing to remember. You may not have the tools to make your own. But I'm sure if you look around the friends or family. Gee, you just may find some one that will help you out. Good luck and better hunting around

Cyril Griesbach
05-15-2009, 4:22 PM
I've made tool rests and bought them. Burt, you will be very happy with the Robust tool rest. I love mine.