PDA

View Full Version : Workstation and Cabinets

Dave Walton
05-14-2009, 3:02 PM
Hi All

I'm new here, but not new to woodworking, and wanted to share a latest project with you all.

My wife moved into a new Salon and needed cabinets and a new workstation. Sounds good to me! I've got some things I wanted to try anyway.

Follow the link to my photobucket (http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/WaltonFarmspics/Shop%20Cabinets/). Follow to Shop Cabinets if you need to.

They are cherry lumber and ply. Finished with a thinned Minwax Cherry stain, then three coats of Polyurethane. The Poly is hopefully to protect it from the water and chemicals they will be exposed to.

As far as design, I wanted to go for something simple and modern therefore no crown molding nor fancy millwork on doors etc.

Compliments are cool, but critiques are how I learn. Fire away!

Steve Southwood
05-14-2009, 3:09 PM
Dave link doesn't work. Well it works, just not what you had in mind. Strange thing is, I do some farming myself and my wife has her own salon. I'm sure the cabinets look fine.

Dave Walton
05-14-2009, 3:13 PM
Hmm, try looking for the link on the left side of the page called "Shop Cabinets".

Those pics were of me mowing some sorghum-sudan last fall for late forage.

Steve Southwood
05-14-2009, 3:19 PM
There we go. Great looking cabinets.

Oh, one other thing, New Holland tractors, are the only way to go:D

Dave Walton
05-14-2009, 3:20 PM
New Holland, CIH, whatever...

Peel back the skin and they are pretty much the same now........ I'm just thankful you didn't say GREEN!

Todd Burch
05-14-2009, 3:49 PM
Looks good.

Why so low on the upper cabinet hardware? I try to continue the line of the top of the lower rail as the line for drilling the pull hole.

And, your pulls are 90 degrees off. ;) (I'm an up and down kinda guy, not a side-to-side kinda guy).

It's interesting you chose to accentuate the cherry ply grain. It does look nice. Certainly MUCH better that a lot of willy-nilly cuts I've seen. I've done other projects in such a way as to cut out the seams, but you can't always do that because of needed widths.

Thanks for posting!

Dave Walton
05-14-2009, 6:53 PM
The pulls are where they are and oriented that way because that's the way she wants them.

I asked where to she would like them and she pointed to the center of the square formed by corner of the door frame. I wanted to place them up and down and she over-ruled me. In fact if I placed them the way I wanted, she would have turned them after the install. :rolleyes: Has something to do with the German blood that runs through her Blonde head. :D

I'll look at your placement next time and see what I think.

I kinda decided mid-stream to use the cathedral pattern in the ply to tie together the doors in the wall cab and the sink cab. The ply had some nice cathedral near the bottom and again near the top. I had to waste a little bit, but I got four doors across the width of plywood, so not much waste.

Th

Jim Becker
05-15-2009, 9:50 PM
Here at SMC, we like photos uploaded to our site so that they stay with threads like this into the future. I would be nice if you would select a few that really illustrate your project and bring them into the thread...it's nice work and deserves to be seen without jumping to another site. (In fact, linking to pictures that are elsewhere may go away in the future to help insure that SMC's archives have both the text and the visuals stored together)

Nice work!

Jim
SMC Moderator

Dave Walton
05-16-2009, 8:01 AM
Didn't know you WANTED pics in the posts on this site. Other sites I'm on don't want you using bandwidth, that's why I use photobucket. That and I don't have to re-size to post.

Anyway, here are some highlights.

Jim Becker
05-16-2009, 6:24 PM
Dave, the current release of the SMC software will automagically resize...

Thanks for posting those pictures!

Jim
SMC Moderator