PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw Uniguard

Jack Clay
05-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Has anybody put dust collection on a Delta Unisaw Uniguard? If so could I see the pictures?

Jim Becker
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I did years ago, but no longer have the photos. I constructed a new head for the UniGuard out of Lexan. The issue with the UniGuard is that it's not easily possible to move it out of the way when you truly need to have it gone for a particular cut or operation since the arm is "fixed" to the saw. I replaced it with an Excalibur overarm guard for that reason on the Jet cabinet saw that I used to own.

John Gornall
05-16-2009, 2:07 AM
Jim, I don't understand what you mean by "the arm is fixed to the saw" - one turn of a knob and the arm on mine pulls out and completely off the saw, takes about 10 seconds. The mounting tube is out of the way for anything I've ever had to cut but it can be rotated down if needed. I really like my Uniguard.

Paul Demetropoulos
05-19-2009, 1:07 AM
John,

I found getting overhead dust collection with the Uniguard difficult because the part that covers the blade is two pieces that move independently. That was the main reason I junked mine.

I now use the Penn State overhead guard, I think it's a little flimsy, not nearly as substantial as the Uniguard, but does a very good job at dust collection.

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 8:35 AM
one turn of a knob and the arm on mine pulls out and completely off the saw, takes about 10 seconds. The mounting tube is out of the way for anything I've ever had to cut but it can be rotated down if needed. I really like my Uniguard.

Mine too, not sure Im clear on this either.

Jack Clay
05-22-2009, 1:37 AM
It sounds like the only way to get dust collection on the unit is to change out the hood.

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
It sounds like the only way to get dust collection on the unit is to change out the hood.

Correct. It's actually an interesting project if you want to tackle it, but it does require a little work due to the unique way that the UniGuard is constructed.

Thomas Wa
05-23-2009, 1:38 PM
Here's my 'quick and dirty' vacuum attachment for the Unifence.....