PDA

View Full Version : Show Me Your Mag-Jig Jigs

Jim Eller
05-14-2009, 8:41 AM
I purchased a couple of these Mag-Jig switchable magnets http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147833&FamilyID=20128 a couple of years ago when I first saw them. I thought I would have some great ideas to put them to use but they are still in the packages.

Please show me your ideas of what you use them for.

Thanks,
Jim

Mark Carlson
05-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I use them to hold down my router fence and in feather boards.

~mark

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106234&d=1231385772
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106236&d=1231385919

Jim Eller
05-14-2009, 7:54 PM
Thanks Mark.

Apparently not too many folks use these things.:confused:

Jim

Wes Grass
05-14-2009, 8:31 PM
I stuck a couple in a piece of MDF, with threaded inserts on top so I can add other goodies for various uses. Like a right angle bracket with a caster on it to hold stock against the fence on the bandsaw.

Planning a right angle bracket with one for the tail end of my Felder saw fence, to anchor it. They're a bit flexible. Not much use, unfortunately, for feather boards and such as the sliding table is aluminum.

richard poitras
05-14-2009, 9:40 PM
I use mine for attaching taller and dado fences to my table saws Biesemeyer fence. It works good and fast…

Paul Atkins
05-15-2009, 2:56 AM
I love mine, but I'm too tired to go out and take a photo tonight at midnight. (But I can stay up and play with the computer----) I have two and use them for my bandsaw fence. Picture tomorrow.

Chris Harry
05-15-2009, 8:27 AM
A question -

Can the magnets "shoot thru" other materials?

I was thinking of making a router extension for my table saw. Since I will be making it, it wont be cast iron but I would like to use Mag Jigs if possible. I was planning on putting steel bars thru the underside of the table as bracing.........would the mags be able to shoot thru the table itself (probably made of MDF) and magnet to the steel bars underneath? Could be an elegant solution to quickly installing and removing my Incra LS (like the example above, but without a cast iron table).

And while we're at it, could they shoot thru a granite saw top to the guide bars underneath? Would be interesting if you could end up using them even on a granite saw if the magnets are strong enough.

Joe Hardesty
05-15-2009, 8:43 AM
Apparently not too many folks use these things.:confused:

I use them all the time, especially on the band saw and router table, but don't usually take photos of my jigs. I use them in place of t-slots.

Joe Hardesty
05-15-2009, 8:49 AM

No.

I just did a test to check this out. The magnets will not hold through a piece of cardboard or 1/4" plywood. You can feel some pull, but you don't get a firm grip. However, they did hold when a piece of paper was between the table and the magnet, so absolute metal-to-metal contact is not needed, it's apparently the thickness of the material that determines effectiveness.

HTH

Chris Harry
05-15-2009, 8:50 AM
No.

I just did a test to check this out. The magnets will not hold through a piece of cardboard or 1/4" plywood. You can feel some pull, but you don't get a firm grip. However, they did hold when a piece of paper was between the table and the magnet, so absolute metal-to-metal contact is not needed, it's apparently the thickness of the material that determines effectiveness.

HTH

Thanks for the test!

Looks like Ill just have to put threaded inserts into the table to screw the LS to. Oh well.......easier and cheaper, but not as cool :)

Lee Schierer
05-15-2009, 12:35 PM
A question -

Magentic attraction is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, so if you move the magnet 1/4" away from the material it would have 16 times less attraction that it would have directly against the material.

Jim Eller
05-15-2009, 1:43 PM
Hey, that's better.

Thanks all.