PDA

View Full Version : Font Help

Steve Clarkson
05-14-2009, 8:18 AM
Can anyone identify the attached font? I went to What the Font and couldn't find it.

Also, since I couldn't find it, I tried to trace it, but it came out very bumpy and jagged.....any idea how I could smooth this out? I tried converting it back to a bitmap and retracing......but even with maximum smoothing, it still traced jagged again.

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
05-14-2009, 9:18 AM
Did you forget to attach it?

Mike Null
05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Steve

That's called invisible.:D

Steve Clarkson
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I was just testing you guys......LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, here it is.

It seems like 99% of logos have text in them......if someone doesn't have a huge font library, but only needs 3-5 words in an unknown font, is there a good or easy way to trace those letters so that they are smooth? I use the basic trace function in Corel, but the letters are ALWAYS jagged, even if I put smoothing at 100%.

Thanks!

Jacob Hebert
05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
It looks like LTC Caslon Bold Italic mixed with LTC Caslon Swash's letter "G" bolded somehow (the G that looks like it has a J fused to it). Hope that saves some time. :o

Also, Adobe has an "Adobe Caslon Swash Bold Italic" that contains that G.

Scott Shepherd
05-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with Jacob, it's 2 fonts. The W, F, and G are all different fonts. I was looking at the Garamond Pro Bold Italic, but it's not exact. It's close. For the other letters, I was looking at Monotype Corsiva, but again, it looks like close, but not exact.

Perhaps Jacob has it nailed with his 2 choice, but definitely 2 different fonts being used.

Mike Null
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Steve

In your example I believe the trace function is working perfectly. Unfortunately there are jagged lines in the bitmap and Trace is picking them up.

You might find it easier to select a font that is close to what you're trying to make and convert it to curves, place it on top of the sample, then adjust it from there.

Steve Clarkson
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
OK.....who's the #^$^$^%$&#*# that MIXES two fonts!!! It's hard enough to match ONE font...now I have to match MULTIPLE fonts!!!!!!! I'm starting to dislike logo designers.

Thanks guys.....I thought it was close to that Caslon......but I guess I was looking for the exact match......guess I should just try to match each individual letter rather than trying to match ALL the letters at the same time.

Mike, I've done the converting to curves routine.....and although it works, it sure is tedious. Guess I'm always just looking for a better and easier way.

Thanks guys!!!!

Scott Shepherd
05-14-2009, 12:46 PM
OK.....who's the #^$^$^%$&#*# that MIXES two fonts!!! It's hard enough to match ONE font...now I have to match MULTIPLE fonts!!!!!!! I'm starting to dislike logo designers.

Oh, you have no idea Steve, no idea.......

Part of the theory is that if I do something unique, they will have to come to me for everything. So they'll take an off the wall font and then convert it to curves and modify it. So it's a one off thing. I see it all the time. For the most part, I now refuse the work if they can't provide the artwork because people aren't willing to pay for the recreation of it, since in their mind, they believe they've already paid someone to create it in the past.

Doug Griffith
05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
If you think about it there aren't that many letters to recreate. Start with an "a" and "l" and use pieces of them to help form the "i","d","r" and "t". The rest are fairly unique but shouldn't be that difficult if you do as Mike says and start with a close match. Whoops, just noticed you whited out the "F" word... still shouldn't be that difficult.

Jacob Hebert
05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
You're welcome! I feel your pain, I've been through the multi-font users, the "Oh this letter is pretty but I don't like this letter from the rest of it!" people. People really should play it simple sometimes.

Dee Gallo
05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Steve,

I did this trace for you - it might not be perfect, because I had to do the whole thing squinting to find the edges.. your image was quite blurry. If you have the original, you should be able to adjust small details I couldn't see.

cheers, dee

Dee Gallo
05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
ps- as a logo/logotype designer myself, it is part of the whole concept to adjust fonts to create the "look" a customer wants. If everything was off-the-shelf, you would not need logo designers! Next time, ask the customer for his original art to scan. :) dee

Doug Griffith
05-14-2009, 1:04 PM
...since in their mind, they believe they've already paid someone to create it in the past.

I agree. Anyone who pays for a logo should ask for the vector file and working files if the final logo file is raster. Also ask for any fonts used to create the logo or the font names if that's all the designer will hand over. Don't pay until you get the above or the logo is more or less useless.

As for converting fonts and tweaking to make unique, I see no problem with this. After all, typefaces are designed without the final wording in mind. Sometimes a little tweaking makes for a far better logo. If a designer does it just so it's one-off, that's pretty lame. Actually, logos that are text only (without tweaking) are lame anyways in my opinion.

Steve Clarkson
05-14-2009, 1:51 PM
ps- as a logo/logotype designer myself, it is part of the whole concept to adjust fonts to create the "look" a customer wants. If everything was off-the-shelf, you would not need logo designers! Next time, ask the customer for his original art to scan. :) dee

Thanks Dee.....you really didn't have to do that, but I appeciate it. Actually, you should be working on those 15 photos I plan to e-mail you.......

And no offense to you fine, morally straight, logo designers.

Steve Clarkson
05-14-2009, 1:55 PM
Steve,

I did this trace for you - it might not be perfect, because I had to do the whole thing squinting to find the edges.. your image was quite blurry. If you have the original, you should be able to adjust small details I couldn't see.

cheers, dee

Wait.....how did you do the trace?

Dee Gallo
05-14-2009, 2:27 PM
Wait.....how did you do the trace?

Manually.:eek:

Scott Shepherd
05-14-2009, 2:53 PM
I agree it's okay to modify it, that's what makes it unique, but in reality, once you do the design, you'll be handing the files over to someone who has no clue about what you just handed them and it'll end up in a desk drawer of someone who doesn't work there any more, and when anyone needs anything, no one will ever know that the original files ever existed, who created them, or anything else about it.

I see it all the time. Fairly good size companies and they can't provide anything other than a jpeg. I usually end up pulling it from a pdf file.

It's frustrating that no one ever seems to understand, no matter how many times you explain it, that a jpeg pulled off the header of their webpage is not an acceptable graphic to make their 4' x 8' sign from!

Dee Gallo
05-14-2009, 3:10 PM
I agree it's okay to modify it, that's what makes it unique, but in reality, once you do the design, you'll be handing the files over to someone who has no clue about what you just handed them and it'll end up in a desk drawer of someone who doesn't work there any more, and when anyone needs anything, no one will ever know that the original files ever existed, who created them, or anything else about it.

I see it all the time. Fairly good size companies and they can't provide anything other than a jpeg. I usually end up pulling it from a pdf file.

It's frustrating that no one ever seems to understand, no matter how many times you explain it, that a jpeg pulled off the header of their webpage is not an acceptable graphic to make their 4' x 8' sign from!

And that's when I have to tell them to either find a good print, pay to have it redrawn or go somewhere else. And why I keep backup files of all the logos I do for people. But people in general are lazy and when push comes to shove, they will "remember" where they have a good copy rather than go through the effort of finding another person who can produce their product.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jacob Hebert
It looks like LTC Caslon Bold Italic mixed with LTC Caslon Swash's letter "G" bolded somehow (the G that looks like it has a J fused to it). Hope that saves some time.

I agree. It is the two Caslon fonts.