PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Panel Saws on their site

John O'Neill
05-14-2009, 7:06 AM
Lie Nielsen's Panel Saws were just added to their site. they've been shipping for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have one yet? Opinions?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=s-ps

JohnMorgan of Lititz
05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Finally!

I was up to the store back in March and got to check one out in person. They didn't have one in the showroom, but they dug one out of Tom's office and let me play around with it. It was filed rip, so making a bunch of cuts without a proper setup was difficult. I was surprised they went with a smaller saw - was hoping for a 26 inch blade.

The handle was beautiful, as expected from LN, I thought it balanced well and felt good in my hand.

I'm no expert, though...just an amatuer who loves lots of tools. I'm sure I'll have to make an excuse to save up for a crosscut model.

David Keller NC
05-14-2009, 10:44 AM
"I was surprised they went with a smaller saw - was hoping for a 26 inch blade."

Might be a reason for that from the collector's market. The world is filled with Disston, Spear and Jackson, and Simmonds 26" panel saws - millions were made from about 1880 through the 1930's. However, finding a high-end Disston (like a #12) in a 16 or 18 inch plate size is difficult, and they're the handiest size in the shop, IMO. Perhaps Tom felt that he should fill the need for the smaller saws first.

lowell holmes
05-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Well,
He sure got my attention.:)

I have an old 10tpi Disston, but a smaller 12 tpi . . .

JohnMorgan of Lititz
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Might be a reason for that from the collector's market. The world is filled with Disston, Spear and Jackson, and Simmonds 26" panel saws - millions were made from about 1880 through the 1930's. However, finding a high-end Disston (like a #12) in a 16 or 18 inch plate size is difficult, and they're the handiest size in the shop, IMO. Perhaps Tom felt that he should fill the need for the smaller saws first.

You're probably right on filling the need for a smaller size. I would not have thought about that aspect.

I was commenting purely from the perspective of how they feel. I have my Great-Great Grandfather's Disston rip saw and its around a 26 inch and feels perfectly balanced. Not that the LN wasn't, just the longer blade gave a good length of stroke and balances well through a cut.

No doubt the smaller size is handy and easy to weild around a shop, especially my small, close quarters shop/garage.

Liam Murphy
05-14-2009, 1:41 PM
I received the 7ppi rip on Tuesday. So far, I've only done some test cuts in dry softwood, but it handled nicely. I have a few old 26" 5ppi ripsaws, but I always wanted something a bit smaller and finer. This fills the need nicely.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
05-14-2009, 2:25 PM
anyone know why they stamp that little tab into the spine of the blade towards the toe? Just decorative or is there some obscure purpose?

Jim Koepke
05-14-2009, 2:34 PM
anyone know why they stamp that little tab into the spine of the blade towards the toe? Just decorative or is there some obscure purpose?

There was a thread on the saw nib:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=860924#poststop

Not sure any conclusion was reached.

My thought is that one maker decided to add it to their saw just to see if other makers would copy the new innovation.

jim

JohnMorgan of Lititz
05-14-2009, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the link, Jim. Entertaining reading, for sure! :) No final answers.

Being more of a conspiracy theory guy myself, I'm convinced the original nib was put there simply to cause scores and decades of debate over what the nib is actually for. :)

It was an evil plot with ingenius design to plague the thoughts and minds of all neander-manity.