PDA

View Full Version : New 1642 owners, where did you buy it?

Paul Coffin
05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi All,
The jet lathe sale has me very tempted. I was going to hold out for the 3520B but it might be a long time before I have that kind of money, so I am seriously thinking about the 2 HP 1642. Where did you purchase from and are you happy with the lathe. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Paul

Jim Kountz
05-14-2009, 3:21 AM
I got mine from McFarlands Mill, a local dealer in Winchester, VA. Good folks to deal with. I am very happy with the lathe, it has actually exceeded my expectations. Im convinced that there is nothing this thing cant do within its 16x42" boundaries. Keep in mind that a 15-16" bowl is freaking huge!! While the PM is an outstanding lathe and has a bit more capacity, if its trouble coming up with the extra money, get the Jet. You will have a lathe that you WILL be happy with Im sure of it. And you save a few bucks at the same time. Win win.

J. Greg Jones
05-14-2009, 5:48 AM
Like you, I was holding out for a 3520B and also like you, it was looking like it would be forever before I would save enough to get one. I ordered the 2HP 1642 from Woodcraft last weekend and it's scheduled to be delivered today. For months I've researched the 1642 along with the 3520B and I'm very confident that, for about half the price of the PM, I'll be happy with it. I cannot recall reading or hearing from a single owner ever saying that they regretted buying the 1642.

Mike Lipke
05-14-2009, 6:35 AM
Bought my 1 1/2 hp from Woodcraft. Great lathe, absolutely the best spin for the buck.

Tony Kahn
05-14-2009, 6:39 AM
bought my 1 1/2 hp about 7 months ago, when they were still 1499 regular price. Haven't regretted it one bit. Thought i might end up wishing that i had gotten the 2 but have'nt had a situation that made me regret it. Best investment i have made in a looooong time.

Ted Evans
05-14-2009, 7:40 AM
Hey Paul,

I ordered mine from the Toolnut at http://toolnut.com/. The person I spoke with, Craig I believe, was very friendly and helpful. He says they will beat any price on products they carry and the lathe was free shipping. Good luck.

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 8:28 AM
Woodcraft is doing 20% off for May 15-16 or so. You may want to jump on that or just go to ToolNut.

Philip Morris
05-14-2009, 8:57 AM
Bought my 1.5hp 1642 from the Birmingham Alabama Woodcraft store during thier April 1tth 10% off sale. Received the lathe three or four days before Woodcraft announced the 20% sale for this weekend. Called the store manager and asked if there was anything he could do. He promptly refunded me the additional 10% (very good people to work with). Ended up getting mine for around $1480. Since I live in Mississippi, I had it shipped to me for $75, which is cheaper than local Alabama sales tax.

I am very pleased with the lathe. Easy for one person to set up. Very quiet and stable. The only thing I did was add an articulated light arm (see recent SMC thread) and built some tressle feet (similar to article on another forum) to raise it up.

BTW, I "downsized" to this lathe from a Oneway 1640 (so I am spoiled). Although it is apparent where Jet saved money, I believe it will suit all but the most extreme needs.

charlie knighton
05-14-2009, 2:06 PM
bought 1642 from wm tool group @ richmond symposium last year :D
free shipping to local terminal, i picked up

Jim Underwood
05-14-2009, 2:28 PM
Bought my 1.5hp 1642 from the Birmingham Alabama Woodcraft store during thier April 1tth 10% off sale. Received the lathe three or four days before Woodcraft announced the 20% sale for this weekend. Called the store manager and asked if there was anything he could do. He promptly refunded me the additional 10% (very good people to work with). Ended up getting mine for around $1480. Since I live in Mississippi, I had it shipped to me for $75, which is cheaper than local Alabama sales tax.

How do you manage that, when the sale is only for $1699, and the advert says this:

SALE $1699.00 Plus Get FREE Shipping!
Save $500! While Supplies Last.
Model JWL-1642EVS-2
Cannot Be Combined with Any Other Discounts.

I bought mine from ToolNut for $1599 w/ free shipping.

Gary Chester
05-14-2009, 3:15 PM
I got my 1642-2 at Woodcraft in Seattle and they had it in stock. The 1642-2 is $500 bucks off which is a bit better than 20%. Sounds like some of you got a better price... but I'm still happy!

My 1442 is going to be on Craigs list in the near future. Great lathe, but I had to go bigger!

Philip Morris
05-14-2009, 3:17 PM
Jim,
I bought the 1.5hp. The price you quoted is for the 2hp model.

Ken Werner
05-14-2009, 3:30 PM
2HP model came from amazon with free shipping and no sales tax, but this was over a year ago. It is fabulous!

Joshua Dinerstein
05-14-2009, 4:45 PM
Go with www.toolnut.com I have bought form them in the past and Sean and the rest of the team there are a pleasure to work with. The finest in customer service and that is a rare commodity these days!

You will love turning on the Jet. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it is a dream. No vibration, excellent speed control. So much better than the HF lathe I had before and used for the last 2 years.

Joshua

Martin Shupe
05-14-2009, 9:07 PM

I am very pleased with the lathe. Easy for one person to set up. Very quiet and stable. The only thing I did was add an articulated light arm (see recent SMC thread) and built some tressle feet (similar to article on another forum) to raise it up.

BTW, I "downsized" to this lathe from a Oneway 1640 (so I am spoiled). Although it is apparent where Jet saved money, I believe it will suit all but the most extreme needs.

Phil, did you sell your Oneway?

Why?

Martin, dreaming of a Oneway 1640 before I die.

Jim Underwood
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh. Well that explains the less expensive price.

I was hoping to save up for a Vicmarc, but the Jet deal pushed me over the edge...

Now I have a lathe in my shop that belongs to my wife....:rolleyes:

Edward Garrett
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I bought my 1642 back Feb through Amazon....I am brand-new to turning, and I haven't really had a lot of time on it yet (the whole day-job thing). I bought the 1642 b/c I wanted something that would meet my needs now as a beginning as well as over time as my skills develop. While I have only had limited time on it, I have been very pleased so far.

Philip Morris
05-15-2009, 4:09 AM
Martin,
Yes, I sold my Oneway to a friend who was really wanting to push his limits on bigger turnings. I, on the other hand, have had health issues that have tended to steer me to turning smaller items. He offered to pay me the price I had paid new for the Oneway four years prior. The Oneway is a much heavier duty lathe, but was just overkill for what I want to turn.

Chris Stolicky
05-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Like you, I was holding out for a 3520B and also like you, it was looking like it would be forever before I would save enough to get one. I ordered the 2HP 1642 from Woodcraft last weekend and it's scheduled to be delivered today. For months I've researched the 1642 along with the 3520B and I'm very confident that, for about half the price of the PM, I'll be happy with it. I cannot recall reading or hearing from a single owner ever saying that they regretted buying the 1642.

Exact same thing here.

Its supposed to be delivered today. Now, I need to find a way to make room and then run a 240V outlet!

I figure that if I ever get the itch to turn anything larger, it does have outboard ability, plus I can always add more weight to it. I would just need the outboard tool rest for the outboard option.

James K Peterson
05-15-2009, 3:40 PM
I order mine from Tool Nut just this morning :D
I had been saving for the PM3520b, but with such a great deal and all the capabilities of the Jet, I don't think I lost much going with the Jet.

Paul Coffin
05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I took the plunge and ordered the 2hp 1642 from toolnut on Friday for $1599. I tried to get my local woodcraft to apply their 20% discount on their $1699 sale price with no sucess. Now I need to start purchasing everything else I need and probably attend some classes or join a club, I have not turnes since high school and that was quite a while ago.:D
Paul