PDA

View Full Version : Resawing failure - Now what blade?

Brian Kent
05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I've had my Griz 513X2 for over a year now. All of my blades have been Timberwolfs. The service has been great over the phone but the results have varied on the saw. I have about 7 of their blades.

The good: My 3/8" blade works great for all kinds of curves and resawed perfectly on 12 inch thick very dry walnut burl. Nice even 1/4" slices.

The bad: My first real resaw blade was their 3/4" 2-3 variable tooth. It curved strongly to the right and they replaced it for free with a 3/4" 3 tpi.

The ugly: This wobbled so badly that I thought it was made too big. I had set it aside for months and started over again today. They had offered to replace it if it was the wrong size. I measured it - exactly 131-1/2". After all this time I will not ask them to replace it again. I should have acted sooner.

With all guides re-adjusted it wobbles about 1/4" side to side at the table. That is true whether I have the guides at 1" or 12" or anywhere in between. I am giving up on the blade. I have tried all different levels of tension. Same story. No visible kinks.

Now what resaw blade should I buy? Another Timberwolf? They get such good reviews but I just have been unlucky with them. Should I start fresh with another line of blades? I would prefer reasonably cost blades ($30 to $75), but if I need to get bi-metal or carbide, I will.

Brian

Glen Blanchard
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Brian - What method did you use to tension the blades?

Brian Kent
05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I was trying to use the Timberwolf recommended method, starting with a wobble, tensioning until it straightens out, then adding 1/4 turn. It never stopped wobbling, even to my maximum tension.

guy knight
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I was trying to use the Timberwolf recommended method, starting with a wobble, tensioning until it straightens out, then adding 1/4 turn. It never stopped wobbling, even to my maximum tension.

i would try more tension until you got a decent cut and if you could never get it tight enough i would look at getting a new blade or you might want to get a new tension spring if that doesn't work

Brian Kent
05-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I seem to get plenty of tension with other blades, including the original 3/4' blade, so I'll try a new blade before a new spring.

Rick Fisher
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
I think its a tension thing.. I had an 18" Delta.. about the same size and it would barely tension a 3/4" blade..

I would ignore the tension guides and crank it tight ..

Brian Kent
05-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I have applied the tension as fully as possible.

joe milana
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I would bet it's the blades. I have had mixed results with "timberwolf" blades purchased from Grizzly. Crooked welds.

Brian Kent
05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
You see, I keep on tightening and tightening and…

…oh wait…

…never mind.

It's working now.

He he he.

Sorry.

It was the tension! :rolleyes:

Brian

Phil Thien
05-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Blade Runner (from Itura). Fantastic blade (same stock as WoodSlicer, just less expensive). Won't regret it.

If you want something that lasts longer, the MK Morse BiMetal is available in a 1/2 x .025 x 3-TPI blade. It custs about as fast as the Blade Runner/WoodSlicer, but doesn't leave as nice a finish.

Rick Fisher
05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Are you kidding.. is it cutting nice now?

If so, good for you..

I know that to tension a 3/4" blade on the delta, the indicator was right at the top of the guage and I still had to crank a few more turns..

If you do order another blade, get a 1/2" ... they run nice on a 17" -18" saw..

glenn bradley
05-14-2009, 9:16 AM
You see, I keep on tightening and tightening and…oh wait…never mind. It's working now. He he he. Sorry. It was the tension! :rolleyes:
Brian

Glad to hear that Brian. I run a G0513X and the TW 3/4" 2-3. I did have one with a less than perfect weld but it was a bump as opposed to misaligned. I stoned it for a moment or two and all is well. Previous TW 3/4" blades have all done well too. Glad you found the sweet spot.

Brian Kent
05-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear that Brian. I run a G0513X and the TW 3/4" 2-3. I did have one with a less than perfect weld but it was a bump as opposed to misaligned. I stoned it for a moment or two and all is well. Previous TW 3/4" blades have all done well too. Glad you found the sweet spot.

I'm glad too. It is almost blasphemy to say a 513 or a Timberwolf doesn't work!

Anthony Whitesell
05-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Which 3/4" blade do you have? The thicker one or the thinner? Timberwolf makes a 0.025" thick and 0.032" thick 3/4" blade.

I purchased a 3TPI 3/4" 0.032" thick Timberwolf blade and had to dial the tension to 10 on the scale of 1-8 to get the flutter out of the blade on my G0513x2. I wasn't (and still not) happy about that. I may try one of the 0.025" thick blades or a Woodslicer. But for now, I'm doing most of my work with a 4tpi and 6 tpi 1/2" blades. I may also get some higher tpi 1/2" blades, as I would be able able to swap blades for smoother cuts without having to realign the guides after switching blades.

Richard Wagner
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I would not hesitate to ask them to replace it if it is the wrong size (different than you ordered). Time is not a factor in an issue like this.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2009, 1:02 PM
I dunno...I never had much luck with my Timberwolf blades so they are on the wall gathering dust.

I primarily stick to Lenox blades and have been very happy:

Trimaster (1", 2-3 var tpi, 0.062" kerf, carbide)
Diemaster2 (1/2", 6 tpi, 0.035" kerf, bimetal)
WoodmasterCT (1", 1.3 tpi, 0.055" kerf, carbide) [Not happy with this one]

I have a MM20 (20" Minimax bandsaw).