PDA

View Full Version : Blade to cut melamine

Don Abele
05-13-2009, 9:00 PM
I have been looking all over the place for a blade dedicated to cutting two-sided melamine. Freud has one, but not in a 7 1/4 variety. I'll be using the EZ system with my circular saw to knock the sheets down to managable size. The best I could come up with is an ATB (vice triple-chip grind) in both 40 and 60 tooth blades.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Paul Williams
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Try using Freud's wet lumber blade. Cheap easy solution. Worked good for me on a table saw. I got the recommendation from a Freud rep. His point was to use a blade with a rake angle such that the face of the tooth was parallel to the top surface of the material or even slightly downward. Used with a zero clearance insert this worked very well. Not sure it will work as well on a guided saw, but worth a try.

Paul Murphy
05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't have any experience with either of these blades, but they are TC.

http://www.toolauthority.com/product_info.php?products_id=1315&PHPSESSID=5m9eprv0s1j9626v1v09kvtfc1&akID=4023
Oldham 7-1/4" 60T Carbide
http://www.dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com/triple-chip_2.html
GT760 $74

Dino Makropoulos
05-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I have been looking all over the place for a blade dedicated to cutting two-sided melamine. Freud has one, but not in a 7 1/4 variety. I'll be using the EZ system with my circular saw to knock the sheets down to managable size. The best I could come up with is an ATB (vice triple-chip grind) in both 40 and 60 tooth blades.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Don,
Try the Diablo first (40 teeth)

Any Thin kerf carbide blade is better than a full kerf
high teeth (60-80) full kerf blade.

Less material removal, less power , less lifting of fibers, (chipping)
less sawdust, less time to make the cut,
and less money ( Only $15.00)

Good luck.

Philip Johnson
05-14-2009, 1:21 AM
Forrest makes one, I have not used it but have been happy with their other blades

Glenn Clabo
05-14-2009, 6:45 AM
I've used the Diablo 40 tooth on the EZ...without problem.

Cory Hoehn
05-14-2009, 9:03 AM
Try checking out this article which deals with cutting and handling of melamine. They suggest a cheap panel blade....

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/tips/archive/2009/03/03/using-melamine.aspx

Hope that helps.

Karl Brogger
05-14-2009, 10:07 AM
80T ATB grind with a negative hook. Pick your brand, good ones will be $90-$125.

Zero clearance insert helps as well. With no gap between the front of the blade and the tablesaw insert it supports the material with less chipping.

edit- sorry, didn't see that you were doing it with a circular saw.

Dino Makropoulos
05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Few more tricks.
You can use any blade and do a backward cut 1/16" deep.
Make sure you lock the depth lever well.
Then, do a full depth forward cut.

If you go with the diablo blade, or any blade, clean the blade after few cuts.

Good luck 2.

Jim O'Dell
05-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I think the tripple chip blades are the ones of choice for plastics and melamine. Don't have one for the circular saw, but the one for the TS I have is a Systimatic and it works great. You can go to Freud's site, and look at the different blades, and the chart will tell you hich ones work with the different materials. I've found it to be very helpful in the past. Jim.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2009, 3:26 PM
Doc,

I was all ready to jump up and give you a screaming deal on my Freud Double-Sided Melamine 10" Table Saw blade until I read a bit further.... :D

I think Dino has you covered.

Don Abele
05-14-2009, 5:18 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I'm looking forward to this as it will be my first project with the EZ system (goat will be announced when I receive it).

Chris, I have the blade and it's awesome. But I really do not want to lift any more full sheets of melamine onto the tablesaw. For some of the smaller cuts (once the sheet is knocked down), I'll use the TS with that blade.

Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

BTW - Nice talking to you today Dino and thanks again.

Tom Walz
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Dedicated, indutrial quality, melamine blade

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/store/systimatic-melamineveneer.html