PDA

View Full Version : epoxied pear crotch.

curtis rosche
05-13-2009, 8:10 PM
here is a interesting peice of what i was told it bradford pear. it was a 3 way crotch peice. i turned the crotch upside down so that the split end made up the bottom and the single end made the top. the wood was already split when i turned it. the big "crack" through the middle is actually a bark inclusion/middle of one of the crotches. i filled it with self leveling epoxy. took for ever to do such a pain. i rough turned it and then covered the out side with tape so i could pour the epoxy from the inside. well i for got about the bottom where the face plate was and ended up with all the epoxy running out and through the threads. after a day of thread cleaning I taped up the inside and poured it from the outside. only to find that in 2 places the epoxy had actually pealed the tape off. i was able to fix it but not before getting it everywhere.

funny side note. the woodshop teacher told me to use the extra epoxy for a prank on the "new" teacher. ened up epoxying his paper weight to the center of his desk about 4 inches from the front. made a hole/crater in the desk when he pulled it off.

sorry for the picture quality.

what do you think?

curtis rosche
05-13-2009, 8:12 PM
one profile picture

John Fricke
05-13-2009, 8:43 PM
Bowl looks fine........I wanna hear the repercussions of the epoxy prank.

curtis rosche
05-13-2009, 8:45 PM
well, i had to pull off and fix the felt bottom of the paper weight. some how the felt stuck to the weight and pulled the rubber/cradboard matting off the desk. there is still a hole. all i had to do was fix the bottom of the wieght, it was either that or face detention

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2009, 10:21 PM
i filled it with self leveling epoxy. took for ever to do such a pain. i rough turned it and then covered the out side with tape so i could pour the epoxy from the inside. well i for got about the bottom where the face plate was and ended up with all the epoxy running out and through the threads. after a day of thread cleaning I taped up the inside and poured it from the outside. only to find that in 2 places the epoxy had actually pealed the tape off. i was able to fix it but not before getting it everywhere.

funny side note

I thought that was the funny stuff - ROFLOL!!!

Sounds like you had quite the learning experience Curtis! The end result looks pretty good - so it was worth all the effort!

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Curtis that is funny. Great looking bowl.

Mark Hix
05-14-2009, 2:15 PM
I would use the argument that if you had to take detention, the shop teacher had to sit with you!

robert hainstock
05-14-2009, 4:13 PM
When I have one of those, I use Duck tape to contain the liquid epox.
Bob

curtis rosche
05-14-2009, 4:31 PM
he denied any involvment