PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Chris Rae
05-13-2009, 7:11 PM
I've never turned any goblets and I would like to, so I have some questions.:rolleyes:
1. Can you use green wood or do you need dry wood?
2. If you use green wood, how do you keep them from going all "wonky" as they dry?
3. Do you need a steady rest?
4. Any other advice you might have.
I really appreciate being able to draw on the knowledge of those more experienced that I am. Thanks a bunch!

Brian McInturff
05-13-2009, 7:33 PM
Chris,
I've done several goblets. I tried using green wood on the first ones. That was a mistake. They cracked and warped on me. So I'd recommend using some good dried wood. I've not had to use my steady rest for any of them. Other advice - Just make sure to keep the wall thickness all the same and don't go to thin on the stem. My last piece of advice - - - - - - HAVE FUN!!!:D

Joseph M Lary
05-13-2009, 8:02 PM
I turner one with green ,wood hackberry branch ,make sure the pith runs off center. I used clothes pens to hold the stem straight ,the pith was in the botton of the goblet and got a small crack .There is a book called Turning Green Wood it has several projects in it and that is one of them, good book lot of info in it .

Curt Fuller
05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I've done quite a few goblets. To answer some of you questions...

1. I would use dry wood, but...
2. Sometimes the 'wonky' ones look pretty neat.
3. I don't use a steady rest and think it would get in the way. But here's what works for me. I turn a tenon on one end of the blank to hold it in a chuck. Then shape, hollow, and sand the cup. Once that's done you can stuff the cup with a wad of paper towel, bring the tailstock up into the wad of towel, and use it to steady the goblet while you turn the stem and base.
4. Work from the tailstock back towards the chuck when turning the stem. Once it gets skinny, if you try to go back towards the cup you'll run a huge risk of breaking a thin stem.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41497&highlight=eucalyptus+goblet

Chris Rae
05-14-2009, 1:39 PM
Thanks guys!

Jim Underwood
05-14-2009, 1:42 PM
Curt nailed it.

Good luck and have FUN!:)

Kyle Iwamoto
05-14-2009, 4:43 PM
Check mini-lathe magic. He has a section on goblets. Good book. He uses green wood.

I used a steady to hollow, but it really isn't necessary, just go slower. A trick in the book (not my idea, since it's a good idea) is to use a rubber doggie ball in the cup, and the tailstock against the ball. That helps a LOT when thinning the stem down.

Turn and get the cup part to final dimensions prior to starting to turn the stem. That gives the most drive for hollowing. If you finish and sand at this point, it reduces the drying/cracking/wonking, I think.