PDA

View Full Version : A windy post from a newbie

Ted Evans
05-13-2009, 6:37 PM
Thanks a lot, you bunch of yahoos. I have been visiting this group for only a week or so and it has already cost me a bunch. First, I read the raves about the neat Oneway Talon chuck many of you have. Yep, I will get one of those for my old Yates American lathe. Then I started reading about all the great new lathes so many of you have and the beautiful work you do with them. Well, that made me ashamed to even have the YA in my shop, so yep had to order a Jet 1642-2EVS, would love to have the Powermatic but out of the question. And of course the adapter for the YA does not fit the Jet so have to get another adapter. Does it ever end?

In all seriousness, it is wonderful to have found a forum with so many friendly, talented and knowledgeable folks who are willing to share that knowledge, thanks.

Now I will whine a little. I was supposed to be retired from the communications industry, however, shortly after retirement; we lost almost 80% of our investments, which is the only income we have. Therefore, I had to generate some income or starve to death in about four years. There were no jobs for my limited skills in this small town and since I had been doing woodworking as a hobby for some years, I began building custom cabinets. I have been fortunate to do all the cabinet work for a small builder that does mostly upscale homes so should make it a few more years before starvation becomes a reality.

I have done very limited work with a lathe, mostly spindles and columns, and have been wanting for some time to “play” with the lathe. As you can tell, it is easy for one to get inspired reading all the post in this group.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks again to all.

Bear

David Christopher
05-13-2009, 7:02 PM
Ted, welcome to the creek....It only gets worse as time goes on......anyway congrats on the new tools if you really got them....we didnt see any pics

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2009, 7:07 PM
Ted - Welcome to the Creek! I have same version of Jet that you are getting and it is a great lathe! I also have the Talon chuck - you will love it also! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe - once it arrives!

Jim Kountz
05-13-2009, 7:19 PM
Ted, welcome to the creek!! Nice lathe too I love mine!!

alex carey
05-13-2009, 7:21 PM
sorry to cost you all the money, it only gets worse though, looking forward to the pictures and welcome.

Alex

Sean Ackerman NY
05-13-2009, 7:22 PM
Ted, welcome. I share your sentiments, it's a marvelous community here. I'd have to say one of the best if not best forum communities I've ever come across. Extremely friendly and a WEALTH of knowledge that seems boundless. Even though I sell'em, this place drains my pockets as well. I just ordered a new mini for myself..........oohhhh boy, vortex time.

PS, thanks for the business!

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2009, 7:24 PM
...you bunch of yahoos...No self-respecting "bunch" would be this disorganized: we're just now working our way up to "malfunctioning heap". :eek::p

Don Carter
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome Bear! Short answer...it never ends.;)
But...it sure is fun! Can't wait to see what comes off that new lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Welcome Ted. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Nothing more fun than turning. So enjoy the new lathe.

Mark Norman
05-14-2009, 1:14 AM
Welcome to the Vortex...It will suck you in if it hasn't already:)

OOps,,, too late for you:p

Keith Christopher
05-14-2009, 6:31 AM
Tedd,

Welcome ! the vortex might be a spinning, twisted, deep place, but it's a joy to ride !

Well if you begin to tap in to the wonders of that lathe fully, bust out a few bowls and pens and HFs.......(sorry was the vortex talking) You can supplement an income quite nicely with a little effort.....plus you get to spend all that time turning things !!!!!!!!

again welcome.

Jeff Nicol
05-14-2009, 6:50 AM
Ted, You hav found the right spot for info and some hot air too!! We all love the joys and failures of turning and will share our escapades with you! THe years will pass by fast and you will have bowls and vases everywhere! Enjoy and we will see you here on SMC!

Jeff

Ted Evans
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Aaaahhhh! What a revolting development this is. ToolNut told me my order would be processed within 48 hours (yesterday) and then shipped so I thought I had plenty of time to get this old, heavy, 8-10k lb,maybe more, YA moved to make room for the Jet. I get a call this morning saying it would be delivered tomorrow. However, I have handled it admirably, I screwed one foot to the floor and began running like mad.

I need to sell the YA TV-12 as I do not have room for the two of them, does any one have any suggestions as to a fair price for such an item? It needs a new belt, the old one runs fine but is streatched to the point the belt cover does not fit and the tail stock could use some attention.

Have to go now, if I can get this screw out of my foot.

Roger Wilson
05-14-2009, 1:22 PM
Check these people out, they've got a live longer but much thinner idea. It will definitely help stretch the food budget and keep you around turning longer.

http://www.calorierestriction.org/

Jim Underwood
05-14-2009, 1:38 PM
Well Mr. Evans...

Welcome to the insanity and the panic.:D

I have another solution for your panic. I'm trying it today...

If you get all stressed out, your body will shut you down when it gets sick. Then you can cancel all kinds of stuff.
Perhaps once you cancel enough stuff, you can then pay attention to your box of lathe when it gets there....

I'm currently in "Throat of Fire" mode at this point in my wonderful cold. Unfortunately I couldn't cancel the desperate need to finish repairing a machine at work... After I fixed it and ran a few doors through it, I sat down for lunch hoping the rest of the day won't be so bad...

And when I get home, perhaps I'll take my lathe with me, and start wiring it up? (I bought the receptacle, breaker and plugs last night.)

Meh... we'll see..

Enjoy the new lathe!

Billy Tallant
05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Ted,
Welcome to the vortex...:) I too made the mistake of discovering this wonderful community of people. My pocketbook has never been flatter than it is now & I see no way of pulling out of it...:):):)

Mark Norman
05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
If ya screwed the left foot to the floor it will loosen. If ya screw the right foot, you are realy screwed:p

Ted Evans
05-15-2009, 6:55 AM
Hey Mark,

I had never thought about it but good point. I guess it is true, the Lord looks out for those of us not capable of doing it ourselves, it was the left foot so I am ok. And to think, I was getting upset because the screw kept coming out.

BTW, thanks to all who have responded and extended the welcoming hand and friendship. Since my turning experience is extremely limited, there is not much that I can offer but I sure enjoy reading about and seeing the accomplishments of others.

Bear

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2009, 2:36 PM
Hey Bernie......We gotta another live one here!:eek::rolleyes:

Welcome to the Vortex Ted!

Tony Kahn
05-15-2009, 3:24 PM
But they call it a vortex for a reason. Next you will be needing more jaws for your talon, then you will need more talons cause you get tired of changing jaws, then you will need a stronghold to hold the bigger pieces, BUT WAIT there's more, we havent even talked about hollowing yet, (CHA CHING) Then you will need the steady rest... have i covered it all? OH YEAH, travel and registration money for symposiums and workshops.