PDA

View Full Version : OK now what do I do.. LOL

Tom Mullane
08-10-2004, 1:55 PM
Managed to score some absolutely gorgeous spalted beech pen blanks... the only problem is that the moisture content is close to 25%... they are wax coated... how do you recommend drying them so that I can stop the spalting action and turn them...
On some black locust that I cut locally I dried them in the oven at 250 degrees with the door slightly open and that worked.. but they were not coated... do you think that this will work with these blanks..

John Shuk
08-10-2004, 2:14 PM
They wind up turned so thin that moisture isn't much trouble. There are some more experienced pen turners out there but I don't think you have anything to worry about turning them now.
John

Ken Salisbury
08-10-2004, 2:37 PM
Managed to score some absolutely gorgeous spalted beech pen blanks... the only problem is that the moisture content is close to 25%... they are wax coated... how do you recommend drying them so that I can stop the spalting action and turn them...
On some black locust that I cut locally I dried them in the oven at 250 degrees with the door slightly open and that worked.. but they were not coated... do you think that this will work with these blanks..
Turn-em :) -- shouldn't be a problem. The heat generated turning and sanding will help dry them out enough IMHA.

Greg Heppeard
08-10-2004, 3:39 PM
If you find that they start to blow out when you turn them, you can nuke them for a bit in the microwave...that should dry them out plenty. Just do it slow. Dry for a min then let them cool and repeat as required.

Paul Downes
08-10-2004, 4:28 PM
Just an unproven idea. You might turn them down 'til round and then run a piece of towel or cloth on the blank to generate heat to dry the wood. Do this a few times and then consider coating with CA glue if the blanks are punky. CA will harden the punk in spalted wood and help to keep it together when turning to the final diameter.