PDA

View Full Version : Receiving Large Machines--Sort of a Gloat

David Winer
05-13-2009, 1:56 PM
I see from time to time here about the problems of getting deliveries of big tools into the workshop. Today was my turn to sweat it as my new Delta edge sander and Powermatic dust collector were due.

I had arranged with the dealer for a lift gate truck but was concerned how to get the sander from the street into my garage/shop. Sure enough, the truck was so gigantic that it could not pass under the power wires over the driveway. It seemed there was going to be a rough time for me and my volunteer neighbor to get the crate into the garage. The delivery man said, "no problem." He and his helper had a sort of manual fork lift and volunteered to take the machine into the garage. Even with that device, they had to push hard to get the crate up the slight incline. But they did easily enough. A well-earned tip and a little photography were my only participation. I was so relieved.

See pictures. The Road King is on Craigslist--no room in my shop now.

Dustin Lane
05-13-2009, 2:05 PM
That manual fork lift thing is called a pallet jack. Check out pallet jack racing on youtube for a pretty good time.

Hopefully everything unpacks and sets up just as smoothly. Congrats!

Chris Tsutsui
05-13-2009, 2:11 PM
Yeah CL usually has pallet jacks for pretty cheap if you ever want to move those machines yourself.

Nice tools BTW.

That's nice they moved it to your garage and had that pallet jack handy. I've seen some instances where the delivery truck came early and just left it on the driveway! I have a feeling something like that would happen to me, and then there would be a rain shower soon to follow.. :D

Andrew Joiner
05-13-2009, 2:16 PM
From Road King to Shop King. Sounds good to me. Have fun.

Glen Blanchard
05-13-2009, 2:52 PM
And look who made the pallet jack. How appropriate!

Pat Zabrocki
05-13-2009, 3:46 PM
top notch equipment, love that road king

oh and the tools are nice too ;)

congrats
pat
08 FXCWC Rocker C
09 FLHTCU Ultra Classic (okay stealth gloat of my own, just picked this up 6 weeks ago)

Rob Russell
05-13-2009, 3:50 PM
I've got a pallet jack and have used it for more than you'd suspect. Bought mine used and it's definitely come in handy.

Greg Cole
05-13-2009, 5:49 PM
A furniture dolly can be had for a few bucks and can move more "stuff" than one can imagine as well......
Nice gloats by the way.

Ron Bontz
05-14-2009, 9:11 PM
If that's the Delta 396 you will like it. I liked mine but it proved to big for my little shop, as much as I used it. I eventually sold it and bought a slightly smaller one. Now from time to time I wish I had the sander back. Best wishes.:)

Leo Graywacz
05-14-2009, 9:50 PM
I've got the Delta 396, great machine, heavy. I can't move it by myself. You'll definitely want to have dust collection hooked up to that. Lots and lots of dust making capacity.

John Coloccia
05-14-2009, 9:54 PM
See pictures. The Road King is on Craigslist--no room in my shop now.

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Hung up my helmet last year. Never laid one down, and thought I'd quit while I'm ahead :)