PDA

View Full Version : LaserBits Clinics

Kyle Kaldor
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Have any of you ever attended one of these clinics? If so, are they worth the time and money?

What kind of laser user are these clinics geared towards? Was there time to ask questions and get answers from the instructors? Do they just teach the basics or do they get into some detail. I have done quite a bit of research on lasers and understand the concepts. So I don't want to go there and just be taught the basics. I want to see them go through the steps of an entire laser project, show the set up of the laser for different types of material, etc.

FYI, I am not a laser user at this time, but am looking at possibly getting one for a business related venture.

Kyle Kaldor
05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?

Steve Clarkson
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
LOL! Sorry, Kyle.....I've never been to one. Why don't you try contacting them directly.....very friendly folk.

Keith Outten
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Kyle,

Aaron and I went to one of their clinics several years ago. It was about 6 months after I got my laser engraver and we had learned just about everything the clinic offered by then, but it was still informative.

They may have changed their class content since we went, if not you can learn more here in this Forum than you will at their entry level laser clinic.

Gabe Gat
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Long story short unless you're really, really new at this (the laser just showed up in your garage) I wouldn't recommend it. Your time would be far better spent holed up next to your laser and this forum, read it all and try everything out. I found the clinic very high level, very, very minimal in terms of hands on. For the time and money SMC is the way to go.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-18-2009, 3:44 PM
I went right after I got my laser...best part was I met some other laser operators and got added friendships and help.

At the laser clinic I was at, some more seasoned users asked more questions than i could have, and laserBits took the time to answer all questions, so it help a lot.

And I live close by, so it was no big deal for me to attend.

Jeanette Brewer
05-18-2009, 5:09 PM
We've hosted LaserBits Laser Clinics in our territory for several years. I agree (with previous post-er) that the content is fairly basic but Mike Fruciano (LaserBits president/clinic presenter) spends the 2nd half of the clinic walking everyone through several different projects/new materials/etc.

We average about 50 attendees at each of the clinics we host in Texas (and other states in our territory) and I'd estimate that 95% of the attendees return our post-clinic questionnaires with totally positive feedback.

Many of them mention that the networking (again already noted by a previous post-er) with other laser owners was invaluable.

Hope that helps!

Kyle Kaldor
05-19-2009, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. It looks like it depends on the experience of whether it's worth it or not. I tried to contact the host of the clinic a few days ago, but have not recieved a response yet.

Like Paul and Jeanette said, I agree that the networking at the clinics is probably the most valuable part. And if all I get out of it is a few more friends in the industry, I think it would be worth it.

Tom Buzz Bernard
05-19-2009, 6:11 PM
The host of the clinic (Mike) just got married and has been on his honeymoon, I'm sure he will get back to you as soon as he can :)