PDA

View Full Version : Lumber for Boat Building

Nate Carey
05-13-2009, 9:29 AM
I'm always searching for new sources of lumber for my boat building projects. If you know of such sources please advise. I am in New Hampshire but will go where I need to go to get good stuff. Lumber of particular interest:
Juniper (aka Atlantic white cedar)
Northern white cedar (haven't seen good boat quality in years)
Spruce (spar quality, eastern or western species)
Cypress

Allen Brown
05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Here's my favorite shop. Ask for Johnny or Anna, and tell them I sent you. http://www.northwestlumberco.com/
They have some very nice wood.

Travis Schafer
05-13-2009, 4:57 PM
It took me almost 2 years to find Northern White Cedar. I stumbled across this guy on a wooden boat forum. VERY good quality ceder and well worth the trip from NH. I bought about 200 board feet from him and it probably only had 25-50 very small knots in the whole batch. Oh yea, his clear White was $3.50 a board foot last fall.

Tweedie Lumber
188 Thorndike Maine 04986
ph. 207 568 3632

Jamie Oren
05-13-2009, 5:58 PM
I lived in NH when i was stationed at portsmouth naval shipyard. I think the name of the place I used was called highland hardwoods. i dont know if they carry the stuff you are looking for, but a good staff and good prices.

good luck:)

Nate Carey
05-14-2009, 7:43 AM
...thanks Allen, Travis, and Jamie

Highland Hardwoods (Brentwood, NH) has a large inventory, excellent variety, and delivers regularly to my area; I have been buying cabinet/furniture lumber from them for years. Unfortunately not much in the way of air-dried boat lumber.

Northwest appears to be similarly focused.

Tweedie Lumber sounds like a potential winner; only five hour drive and near the sea! I'll be calling them later today.

Travis Schafer
05-14-2009, 9:13 AM
Let me know how it goes over at Tweedie.

Richard Bowman
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm always searching for new sources of lumber for my boat building projects. If you know of such sources please advise. I am in New Hampshire but will go where I need to go to get good stuff. Lumber of particular interest:
Juniper (aka Atlantic white cedar)
Northern white cedar (haven't seen good boat quality in years)
Spruce (spar quality, eastern or western species)
Cypress

I've got some interesting pieces of 1/4" plywood. They are about 12" wide and 16' long, originally 8' long but joined with a scarf joint.

I also have an impressive piece of clear spruce, a full 2" X 12" and 27' long! I really don't know what to do with it, it is a shame to cut it!! But it is all for sale!