PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice...common sense welcome too !

Thomas Chatfield
05-13-2009, 8:52 AM
Well the wife has given me the nod to get a drum sander. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the new oscillating 22-44 JET or the Woodmaster 2675. Would like to hear from both camps on this one. Pros - cons to each would be welcome as well as any other common sense tidbits.

Thanks

Chip Lindley
05-13-2009, 9:45 AM
IMO, the oscillating feature of drum sanders may actually cause cross-grain scratches as it zig-zags across the workpiece! And it may cost more than it is actully worth.

A drum sander should not be considered a final finishing machine, but a machine that sands a consistent surface for final finishing! In my experience, 80 grit sanding scratches *with the grain* are easily sanded out with with a ROS using 120 grit. For cabinet work, I've found no need to go finer!

The Woodmaster drum sanders are *tried 'n true* machines that give consistent results! That's where I would spend my BUCKS!

Ron Bontz
05-13-2009, 9:48 AM
I can't tell you any thing about the Woodmaster other than I have heard good things. I had a Jet 22-44 plus and liked it. Especially when I wanted something less than 1/4"thick. I sold it and bought a general int. double drum sander. So here is what I found. The jet allowed for less than 1/4" thickness sanding. The head moves, not the table so you can set your infeed/outfeed rollers for longer stock and forget them. The jet is a little slower and you may find yourself applying a little pressure on the wood to keep it from slipping on that sand paper infeed belt. This can happen on the rubber belts as well if you try to remove too much stock. The key words are "finish sanders". Mine did not oscillate. But 120 grit sand paper worked well leaving some random orbit sanding on the cross grain mostly. An oscillating head would help with that. The adjusting knob on the jet is very fine (1/64th") per rotation I think. Can't remember. I never had a tracking problem but some have. Dust collection port worked well with my 1200 CFM. I did not like the "mobile base" Only moved one way and was unstable the other. The new ones I think are different. The cabinet storage was handy though. I never had a problem with the flex issue or alignment from the cantilever design either. Worked like a champ from day one. If I had the space I woud still have it. I would think this sander is especially good for folks who build musical instruments or do alot of veneer work. It worked well on my cabinet doors as also. It's just not a speed demon. I was looking for a little more single pass capacity and a little more speed is why I bought a bigger sander. BTW, I looked at the Woodmaster initially. The reason I did not buy it is because at the time I could not afford it and I got a good deal on the Jet. Money was an issue for me. Also what Chip said. "A drum sander should not be considered a final finishing machine, but a machine that sands a consistent surface for final finishing!" Best of luck

Ted Baca
05-13-2009, 3:19 PM
Woodcraft is hosting a 20% sale on Jet and Powermatic this weekend if that helps your decision

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2009, 3:22 PM
Common sense is not available here... sorry. But advice? No problem. Buy the Woodmaster!

Thomas Chatfield
05-13-2009, 4:38 PM
Ok so I do know about the woodcraft sale this weekend. (thats how I got the wife to say yes) I also called Woodmaster. They said the 2675 is 1999.00 + 495.00 shipping to my door. Its a special they are running till June 1st. They even throw in 3 rolls of sand paper. So either I can get the Jet 22-44 ODS for 1696.00 with tax or the Woodmaster for 2500. Is it worth the extra 800.00 ? I am tempted to load up the trailer and drive out there and pick it up. Probably would cost me 300 just to drive there and back. Decisions Bah!!

Dave Mura
05-13-2009, 4:51 PM
I'd go with the woodmaster

Robert LaPlaca
05-13-2009, 5:48 PM
I own a Woodmaster 2675, been pretty happy with the machine. It's built like a tank, the hook and loop paper fastening seems to work pretty good, dust collection is pretty good.

If I had to buy another drum sander, i would buy another Woodmaster..

Peter Quinn
05-13-2009, 7:28 PM
If the Jet oscillation mechanism works anything like a wide belt its a vast improvement over the straight line scratches typical of most drum sanders. And I'm saying IF as I have not used one nor know anybody that has. I use a wide belt daily at work, it oscillates and does not leave any zig zag scratches.

I work with a guy that had a woodmaster in his own shop (small commercial cabinet shop) that he used for sanding, molding, gang rip, and planing. He speaks very highly of them. So if the model you get has that versatility to me it is surely worth the extra $800. If you already have these features in other machines, then it may make less sense? I have a performax pro 22-44 and it does a fine job for my needs. I can sand really thin material, and really short material. I think the Jet sanders are of very similar heritage and design.

Any sander, drum or wide-belt, oscillating or not, is going to leave cross grain scratches on frame and panel rails, and no machine is a final sander for stain grade work with a clear finish. They will pull out machine marks and help level minor surface imperfections, but they will not really prepare wood for a clear finish to meet even my low standards.

George Brown
05-21-2009, 4:57 PM
I have the jet OSC and now that is has been fixed, it is great. I sand a lot of 8" boards, and the oscillating action leaves a finish with hardly any sanding marks, even with low grit sandpaper. I sand to 220 or 320 grit and it is ready for finishing. I might have to touch it with a random orbital if I want to get finicky.

Now I'm very happy with mine. When I got it initially, it was horrible. The coupling between the motor and the drum was out of balance, and the sanding job it did was very bad. Service guy from jet balanced it and now the problem is gone.

If you buy one, make sure it does not vibrate excessively. Try it before you take it home.

Don't know if the vibration problem is a design flaw or a manufacturing defect?