PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Generator

Gary Max
05-13-2009, 8:11 AM
I am in the market for a small Generator, something about 2500 to 3500 watts.
We are wanting this to be portable so we can haul it to shows and it would be big enough to use as back up here at the house.
I live way back in the sticks so there ain't going to be any service centers near me no matter which brand I buy,
Here's a couple of my question.
Does a Generator with a built in Digital Invertor make it a better unit.
I really don't care about running a PC off it anyway.
Ebay has two main flavors---big bucks and dirt cheap--Is this just a brand name thing or are you getting what you pay for--- one of the brands I am looking at is called WildFire.
I shopped the Borg and TSC---thier units looked out of date and the really don't offer service---you do get a warranty
Any thoughts on what to buy??????

David G Baker
05-13-2009, 8:32 AM
Honda is a very good choice. Your wanting a back-up generator for your home may require more wattage depending on your home's requirements. A Honda isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. What ever you end up doing make sure that after you find the generator of choice spend time shopping around. I saved over $500 when I purchased my Honda locally.

David Christopher
05-13-2009, 8:53 AM
+1 for the Honda.. it is quiter that any other generator that I've ever heard....no need for service they never break

Ed Labadie
05-13-2009, 9:17 AM
An inverter type generator basically takes the 12 volt output from the motor, runs it thru a "black box" that converts it to 120 volt.
The motor only runs fast enough to produce the needed current, so they are quieter, use less fuel and produce a "cleaner" current than normal generators.
Honda and Yamaha make them.
They are more expensive than a traditional generator.
I've got the little Honda EU2000, while a little small for a home back-up generator, it's quiet and easy to tote around.

Ed

Gary Max
05-13-2009, 9:26 AM
Honda and Yamaha generators seem to outsell the rest but looking around I see names like generac which have good reveiws also. I guess it's just a matter of to many different brands.

Rod Sheridan
05-13-2009, 9:46 AM
[QUOTE=Gary Max;1131576]

Here's a couple of my question.
Is this just a brand name thing or are you getting what you pay for--- one of the brands I am looking at is called WildFire.
QUOTE]

Hi Gary, I'd stay away from any electrical equipment named "Wildfire".:rolleyes:

A portable generator needs to be grounded when used, in a show environment especially. You don't want any electrical accidents with the public involved.

For home use, if the neutral is grounded, you would need a 3 pole transfer switch, a 2 pole switch is needed if the neutral isn't bonded to the frame.

Since you want to use it as a portable unit, the neutral should be bonded to the frame.

Inverter type generators are DC machines that have an inverter on their output to produce AC at the required frequency (60 Hz in the USA). The engine runs as a variable speed device, at light loads it runs slower so it conserves fuel and reduces noise.

A standard generator runs at constant speed (normally 3,600 RPM in small machines) to produce 60Hz power.

Regards, Rod.

David G Baker
05-13-2009, 9:57 AM
I have the Honda EU6500IS, 6500 watt generator. It cost me $3000. It is heavy but comes with a wheel kit so I can manage it by myself. I use ramps to get into my truck bed. I have used it 3 times during power failures and it worked great.
I have my electric system set up so areas of the house are isolated and not on the generator.
It powers the following:
refrigerator
freezer
natural gas furnace
well pump
cable phone modem
2 receptacles in the basement
4 outlet receptacle in the living room
1 outlet in the washroom
4 outlets in the kitchen
I do not let the well and furnace run at the same time, I have a sub panel set up so I can isolate them when needed. I do not run any heavy load appliances with out shutting off the breakers to other heavy load devices. The power is clean so I can run my computers or TV if I want to.

Gary Max
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
For back-up power I was thinking about the frig maybe the small microwave and a light---you just enough to stay alive.
Plus if SWMBO doesn't have her morning coffee-----nuf said.

Joe Pelonio
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I've ben really happy with my 5000 watt Generac, but it is noisy, so much so that I won't run it between 10pm and 7am to help preserve neighborhood peace even during sustained outages. if you are in the boonies that may not be as much of a concern. They run about $700, but I got mine for just over half that slightly used from a rental place.

From what I see in the neighborhood Honda is the quietest.

Craig Nickles
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I have to say that for portable Honda or Yamaha is the way to go. For RV's Onan, and they can be made to be portable or placed into the bed of a pickup for camping etc.

Gary Max
05-13-2009, 1:58 PM
You just don't see many of the Onan's around.
I could run a CAT 3406 in my front yard and no one would hear it---but we also want to take it to 2 shows per year.
Looks like the inverter is going to be the best way to go----saves on gas and is quite.
I am going to have to find more money.

David Christopher
05-13-2009, 2:16 PM
You just don't see many of the Onan's around.
I could run a CAT 3406 in my front yard and no one would hear it---but we also want to take it to 2 shows per year.
Looks like the inverter is going to be the best way to go----saves on gas and is quite.
I am going to have to find more money.

Just put some wheels on the CAT and drive it