PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen my lumber?

Griph0n Brown
05-13-2009, 1:45 AM
Anyone seen my lumber?

About 300 bf of figured maple. I bought it from Atlantic Wood Products (love that place), picked out by my wife and being driven back to Whitehorse by a friend. His truck was stolen from outside his hotel the night before his return journey.

He got the truck back, but the two crackheads that stole it have no idea where my lumber or my friends stuff (ummm ikea I think ... ahem) is. The quote was "wood? never seen it".

Well, thankfull at least that he got the truck back, insurance would have never covered it's value, and their not covering our stuff. I'm out 2500, but again, thankfull he got the truck back.

So if you see cheap wood for sale in Edmonton......

Myk Rian
05-13-2009, 9:17 AM
It's too bad people are like that.
There was a theft here in Michigan of $40,000 worth of Trex decking. An ad showed up on Craigslist for some. Here is what was advertised.

"hole semi load of decking for sale 75% under holesale value call 218 252 **** mark this sold as the hole load"

Real intelligent people, eh?
Keep an eye on the for sale ads.

Jamie Smith
05-13-2009, 8:01 PM
Anyone seen my lumber?

About 300 bf of figured maple. I bought it from Atlantic Wood Products (love that place), picked out by my wife and being driven back to Whitehorse by a friend. His truck was stolen from outside his hotel the night before his return journey.

He got the truck back, but the two crackheads that stole it have no idea where my lumber or my friends stuff (ummm ikea I think ... ahem) is. The quote was "wood? never seen it".

Well, thankfull at least that he got the truck back, insurance would have never covered it's value, and their not covering our stuff. I'm out 2500, but again, thankfull he got the truck back.

So if you see cheap wood for sale in Edmonton......

Did you pay for it with a credit card? If so, it might be worth a call the credit card company to see if there is anything that they will do for you.

Brian Groetsch
05-13-2009, 8:38 PM
Did you pay for it with a credit card? If so, it might be worth a call the credit card company to see if there is anything that they will do for you.

So..... this guy screws the credit card company for the purchase by reniginging on the deal, and "we" all wind up paying for the crime with higher interest rates on "our" purchases.

Why in the heck would you expect a credit card company to cover the cost of a robbery of someone that was transporting a purchase??

Jamie Smith
05-13-2009, 8:58 PM
So..... this guy screws the credit card company for the purchase by reniginging on the deal, and "we" all wind up paying for the crime with higher interest rates on "our" purchases.

Why in the heck would you expect a credit card company to cover the cost of a robbery of someone that was transporting a purchase??

Why? because that is supposed to be one of the benefits of having a credit card.

This isn't any different than using an amex card because it doubles a one year warranty. I am not saying that he should renege, I am saying that he should see if his card (if he even USED one) offers theft protection (aka INSURANCE).

Dustin Lane
05-13-2009, 8:59 PM

If the credit card company did anything it would most likely be to give a charge back to the lumber company. So in the end the lumber co would eat the purchase and then some for the charge back.
You could try and cut a deal with the lumber co so you both eat half, but you'd still be out a lot of money which is very unfortunate.
Hopefully it is found soon, though I wouldn't expect the thieves to know what it's value was.

You could try using one of the craigslist searchers to do a mass search for the area, searchtempest.com or crazedlist.org are two I've used.

Matt Meiser
05-13-2009, 9:05 PM
It's not a chargeback to the seller, its an insurance policy that some card issuers offer. And if you have insurance you are certainly entitled to use it.

Speaking of which, have you checked with your homeowner's policy? Some cover personal property stolen from a vehicle.

John Keeton
05-13-2009, 9:07 PM
You may want to check your homeowners policy. Many of them have coverage for personal property at other locations. Not sure what your coverage is, but it is certainly worth a look at your policy and a call to your agent.

Edited - Matt, as soon as my post hit, I saw your reply!

Rob Price
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I know my CC has specific theft protection for the first 90 days of any purchase.

Greg Magone
05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, checking with the credit card is a good idea. My cards exclude theft from a vehicle, but they might cover it if the whole vehicle was stolen.

I wouldn't do a homeowners insurance claim for $2500. File two claims in 5 years and it is next to impossible to sell your house.

Stephen Edwards
05-13-2009, 10:19 PM

I would hardly accuse the OP of "screwing" the CC company just by asking if the purchase was insured, IF he did use the CC to make the purchase. The sound advice that he's received from others in this thread is just common sense. Furthermore, no one has suggested that he "renege" on the purchase.

John Keeton
05-14-2009, 5:53 AM
I wouldn't do a homeowners insurance claim for $2500. File two claims in 5 years and it is next to impossible to sell your house.Greg, I'm not questioning your response here as I don't know where you are, nor the local customs. But, in my 60 years, I have sold a few homes, rental properties, etc., and the issue of insurance claims has never come up?? I could understand a damage claim, or a premises theft being relevant, but not a theft claim off premises. Could be different where you are.

Lee Schierer
05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
What about a civil suit against the culprits to recover the cost lost property as a result of their crime. If they are convicted of the truck theft, it should be hard for them to dodge paying for the lumber in civil court.

Chris Tsutsui
05-14-2009, 1:04 PM
You probably won't get anything back without a decent struggle so in the end you should at least keep an eye out for the stolen wood. You know it's not pre-meditated theft unless the people that sold you the wood had it tracked. Thus this random act of theft probably didn't have much thought put into it, thus you might see the idiots put it on CL rather than put it into storage for a few years before re-selling. I'd call local lumber places to see if they were offered a great deal on wood, and check wood forums for gloat threads where some guy got a great deal on a truck load of maple.

In college I had a $9300 new Motorcycle stolen from me a month after purchase. The bike was insured the day I bought it, but my insurace company did not offer full coverage unless you had your M license for over a year. I was shopping for new coverage with the bike locked and the thieves stole it from a garage.

Insurance obviously didn't cover it. The bike was financed by "my dad", so I had to make payments for the next year to pay the bike off I didn't have. It wasn't exactly a tragedy, but it was unfortunate.

Rick Moyer
05-14-2009, 1:42 PM
Greg, I'm not questioning your response here as I don't know where you are, nor the local customs. But, in my 60 years, I have sold a few homes, rental properties, etc., and the issue of insurance claims has never come up?? I could understand a damage claim, or a premises theft being relevant, but not a theft claim off premises. Could be different where you are.

John, I can't vouch for Greg's numbers for certain as I don't know the details, but generally what he said is true. My wife is a Realtor and there have been instances where a lender is very reluctant to loan funds toward a property purchase where there has been homeowner insurance claims. This has been a relatively recent issue (past few years). The insurance companies and mortgage companies have taken some hits and are now very cautious. If they DO loan funds the interest is often a lot higher in some cases.

Jim Rimmer
05-14-2009, 10:30 PM
What about a civil suit against the culprits to recover the cost lost property as a result of their crime. If they are convicted of the truck theft, it should be hard for them to dodge paying for the lumber in civil court.

A nice thought but these morons probably don't have any money to cough up in a civil suit and since most lawyers work on contingency, probably won't find one to take it. The CC insurance is a good path - i don't think anyone is suggesting that he renege on the payment as it is not the fault of the lumber seller but if the CC has insurance, you are paying for it so use it.