PDA

View Full Version : Dyed ornaments

Chris Rae
05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I just finished some dyed ornaments, tell me what you think. I would like your thoughts on them. Thanks!

David Walser
05-13-2009, 3:51 AM
Chris,

I like them. Tell us what type of dye and method you used. (Please.)

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2009, 9:42 AM
Ornaments look great Chris. Did you use india ink or dye? I like using color india ink.

Burt Alcantara
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Chris,
Love the colors. Please tell us your secrets.

Burt

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Chris - the colors work well! Looks like you are on to something!

Pat Zabrocki
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Those are awesome! I've had those on my to do list and I think they just moved to the top.
thanks for the inspiration
Pat

Chris Rae
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess I should have added more info when I posted, sorry :o. The wood is maple for the ball part and walnut for the top and bottom. The dye is alcohol based leather dye applied with a blue shop towel, 2 coats (you could just dip them). Finish is spray shellac. The longest is about 4 1/4 inches, they weigh approx. 1/2 ounce. Hollowed them using the new Sorby micro hollowers. I bought the straight and curved blade and made my own handles, I don't like the little red metal one that comes with the set. Thanks for the nice comments, I wasn't sure how other people would like the dye.

Rusty Smith
05-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Chris,
Those are beautiful. I was trying to do some dying last night and totally messed up what otherwise would have been the best egg shaped kaleidoscope I've made to date. In a previous life I did quite a bit of leather work. I'll have to check if I have any leather dye left.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike Peace
05-13-2009, 5:10 PM
I like the dyed globes. I will have to check out leather dye myself. I have been doing a bunch of these hollowed ornaments lately and they are fun. My preference is for thinner finials. I think the thickness of your finials may distract from the beautiful globes. But that is just my opinion. One of the clubs I belong to is having a presenter on finials tomorrow night. So maybe I will have a more informed thoughts after the demo.

Jim Kountz
05-13-2009, 7:27 PM
Chris, those are very neat looking ornaments. Love the colors, makes them look more Christmas'y!!

Well done!!

Brian McInturff
05-13-2009, 7:42 PM
I really like the green one. Great color with the dye and the finial is pretty Kool too. Great job!:cool: