PDA

View Full Version : My Friend Passes

Dave Anderson NH
08-10-2004, 7:30 AM
Yesterday was one of the tougher days of my life. Sue and I had to put Otis, our Springer Spaniel, to sleep. After bringing him home as a 9 week old puppy, we received from him 12 years of unconditional love and affection. He provided us with comfort, companionship, and filled our home with joy after we become empty nesters.

It has been tough the last few months watching him become slower, severely arthritic, and less like the lively happy young dog we loved so well. All seemed well and he was behaving normally until Saturday nite. After dinner he laid down in his usual spot for a nap. Later his breathing became labored and he couldn't be convinced to move and was in fact incapable of doing so. He wouldn't even move for the offer of his favorite treats or the chance to go upstairs to bed. Sunday morning with no improvement we took him to the emergency animal clinic since our vet was closed. He came home after being diagnosed and treated for a high fever, some enlarged organs, and severe arthritis. He seemed improved and we spent the day with him, Yesterday morning he was just as sick as Saturday and we took him to our local vet. He had no energy and had to be assited in moving. All he wanted to do was lie down. After consultation and a poor prognoosis for the future we made our tough decision.

Sue and I decided that he had suffered long enough and that any attempts to prolong his life were selfishness on our part. He would have a future of nothing but pain and suffering and a diminished quality of life. At 1PM yesterday Otis passed from this world to enter a new one. We both stayed with him until the end and he passed away laying on the floor with us. We are both crushed and miss him badly. Sue started for work this morning, but came home. She isn't yet able to cope with the loss and I'm not much better. The pain will pass and life will go on, but we will both remember him fondly, and forever.

Thanks for reading this. The act of writing it is but a poor expression of my feelings, but it helps me cope. May God grant you the unconditional love of a pet.

Waymon Campbell
08-10-2004, 7:38 AM
I am sorry to hear of your profound loss and hope you and Sue will heal over time. Otis sounds like he was a special companion.

Carl Eyman
08-10-2004, 7:59 AM
Dave, I really feel for you as one that has gone through the same ordeal. Time will heal leaving the happy thoughts and blanking out the present pain.

Roger Myers
08-10-2004, 8:48 AM
Dave and Sue,
I know how much a part of your life Otis has been and how difficult it is to lose such a faithful companion. Otis will always hold a special place in your hearts and that decision, though certainly the compassionate one, had to be heart wrenching. He could not have had a better 12 years on this earth, or been with a more loving family than yours and the love and affection that of love and affection that he gave you will in turn leave you with a lifetime of wonderful memories. Kathi, Katie and I send our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time for you.
Roger

Halsey MCCombs
08-10-2004, 8:49 AM
Dave and Sue sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a family pet. Halsey

Mark Mazzo
08-10-2004, 9:19 AM
Dave,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. I know just how difficult that this can be from personal experience. Only time will help the loss that you now feel, but you'll always remember the time you had with Otis in a very special way. I hope that sometime you and your wife can once again feel that unconditional love that only a pet can give.

-- Mark

Syd Lorandeau
08-10-2004, 9:25 AM
Dave and Sue,
As we go thru life there are things that happen that we just do not understand but I am sure there is a reason. Continue on and hopefully we will all come to understand.
Syd

Jim Becker
08-10-2004, 9:45 AM
It's very sad to loose a companion of many years, especially one so devoted. While Otis is no longer physically with you, he'll always be there in your heart, bringing you smiles and fond memories.

David Wilson
08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
You have my depest sympathy.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
A pet can, indeed, become a friend! My sympathies!

Ken Garlock
08-10-2004, 4:21 PM
Dave, I know all too well the pain you are feeling. We had to put down our 15 yr. old kitty back in February. It will take a while, but as they say, time heals all pain. Each day will be just a little bit better. It is OK to cry, it relieves the emotional pressure cooker built up inside. I know I felt better....

The next job is for the two of you to get to the SPCA and find a new puppy :)

Rob Russell
08-10-2004, 5:10 PM
Dave,

You have my deepest sympathies.

About 4 years ago we had to put our cat of 17 1/2 years to sleep. My wife found her as a 6 week old kitten about 2 months after we were married. We were never blessed with children, so she was it. The day after putting her to sleep, we took the day off to be together. I remember it as being a harder day than I expected.

You will remember Otis "fondly, and forever". Pets do bring joy to our lives. It's also a part of the cycle of life that their lives will end.

I hope that your pain passes quickly and you soon settle into your fond remembrance of Otis.

Rob

Ian Barley
08-10-2004, 5:59 PM
I am never sure that words work very well to express feeling but they are the best that we have available.

It is clear that you loved him and he loved you. You did the best for him and you must know that you will never really lose him as long as you have his memories.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-10-2004, 7:09 PM
Dave, you and Sue have my heartfelt sympathy on your loss. To know that you shared your life with Otis, and you brought each other joy and happiness is something that you will have with you always. I have never lost a pet that I didn't feel the pain and tears of seperation from a loved one. Time will heal your pain, but the memories will be forever in your hearts.
Thanks for sharing your life with Otis with us....................you will see him again someday, and he will be the vibrant puppy you remember him as. :)

Ron Jones near Indy
08-10-2004, 8:16 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. Those without pets will never understand your pain. When the time feels right, get another pet. Although it will not be just like Otis, another friend will bring much love and affection to your home.

David Shelton
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
My family went through the same thing 5 weeks ago today.

It has been a very tough 5 weeks. Probably about the worst 5 weeks of my life.

We lost our 4 and a half year old mixed breed dog Buster to cancer.

He was truly our best friend! He ate with us slept with us and went a lot of places with us so we think about him almost all the time.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Unless someone has experienced the loss of a pet they would never understand the empty feeling in your heart. My empty feeling is about 12 pounds. (The size of Buster)

Here is a link that helped me a lot:

http://www.griefhealing.com/ (http://www.griefhealing.com/)

Tyler Howell
08-11-2004, 6:19 AM
Sorry for your loss Dave. Been there!

Dennis Peacock
08-11-2004, 9:21 AM
Dave,

I know it's painful because we get so attached to our pets. I am sorry for your loss.

Ted Shrader
08-11-2004, 1:38 PM
Dave and Sue -

Please accept my sincere condolences. Many of us have been in the same position you are and sharing the loss helps reduce the burden. Soon, the happy memories will take over and Otis will be remembered with joy instead of sadness.

The day will come when you are ready for another dog. NOT to replace Otis, but to be another, different companion. They all have their own unique personalities.

My condolences,
Ted

Roger Fitzsimonds
08-11-2004, 2:26 PM
Dave
I am sorry for your loss. Pets are our biggest fans and when they are gone there is a lingering emptiness. you will remember the good times you had with Otis and in time there my be another pet in your family.

Roger

Ed Marks
08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Having lost a family member not too long ago, I find that words come up really short in these situations. We lose, we experience greif and confusion, we file away all the happy memories, and somehow life moves along. It's somewhat amazing how our minds work these things out.

Take care,

Ed

Kent Cori
08-12-2004, 4:32 PM
Dave,

Please add my heartfelt sympathies to the pile you already have received. I've had to do the same thing many times now and it never gets any easier. Our current two dogs, like all that preceeded them, are an integral part of the family. They are treated as well or better than our kids, usually are less trouble and always give us that uncondtional affection. One of my main goals in life is to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

Gerry Meekins
08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Dave, you and Sue will be in my thoughts.. We went through the same ordeal with our family’s black lab. My wife and I stroked him and looked into his eyes as he left this world. You made the proper decision. As many have said, time will heal. May peace be with you and your wife.