PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits for Frames?

Steve Southwood
05-12-2009, 9:53 PM
Have any of you ever used biscuits for faceframes and/or doorframes? I am in the process of building my frames for the LOML cabinets. I was going to use Kreg screws, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Been looking at mortisers, thought about picking up a Jet bench top. Just don't want to spend the money right now.

Cody Colston
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I've used biscuits a lot for joining face frames. I believe they are completely acceptable for that application. On something like kitchen cabinets, I wouldn't hesitate to use pocket screw joinery on face frames.

For door frames, I wouldn't use them unless I was gluing in a stable panel like plywood which would significantly increase the strength.

Todd Burch
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
I use biscuits when I am in a hurry. Never had one fail yet. I use pocket screws too - mostly on face frames and utility projects.

Todd

jim carter
05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
dowels would be stronger on a faceframe. you would have to use small biscuits for a faceframe unless you use 1x3 or bigger. i would say no on doorframes. i would use screws on the top because the holes can be covered with molding.

Jim Kountz
05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Absolutely!! Biscuits are a great way to go for frames. Strong, quick and easy.

Chris Kennedy
05-13-2009, 6:19 AM
I've used biscuits on several face frames, and I am planning to use them on the face frame I am currently making.

Chris

Steve Southwood
05-13-2009, 7:41 AM
Thanks for the info, I will also think about dowels. Never gave that a thought.

Phil Thien
05-13-2009, 8:22 AM
Thanks for the info, I will also think about dowels. Never gave that a thought.

The Rockler jig is especially good for doweling face frames:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96218&highlight=doweling+jigs

Steve Southwood
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Yea, I went over to Rocklers site and checked that out. 15% off right now helps too.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I built a mirror frame (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42603) and used biscuits all around.

Perhaps the greatest testament to their strength is that the MDF frame is connected to the poplar top only by biscuits and glue and gravity has been pushing against that joint for nearly 3 years now. She's still hangin'! :D

David Keller NC
05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I've used biscuits before for picture frames, but one note is that the standard sized biscuit joiner is generally not correctly sized for small work. You need really small biscuits to join the 45 degree miters - Ryobi makes an inexpensive small biscuit joiner, as does Craftsman (which may be a re-branded Ryobi). Generally speaking, you need double-aught ("00") sized biscuits for this application.

If you don't have all that many to do, you can still use mortise and tenon joinery - just use a shop-made router jig, or buy one mortise chisel sized for what you need.

Lee Schierer
05-13-2009, 1:44 PM
Another way to make frames is with a lap joint. It is considerably stronger than cope and stick joints, dowels or biscuits and you can make it easily with your TS.

Brian Peters
05-13-2009, 7:05 PM
Doweling face frames is a waste of time. Pocket screw the face frames and build the doors cope and stick (tounge and groove). I make them on the shaper but there is no reason why they couldn't be done on a router table or even a table saw. I know I've made my fair share of doors and drawer fronts with a dado stack on the table saw and a bit of patience. :D

Peter Stahl
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
MLCS sells a biscuit kit which is a slot cutter for your router plus round biscuits (1-13/32" Dia. Circle x 5/32" biscuits) which wold be good for narrow face frames. I used to make mine about 2-1/4" wide and use the #10 biscuits. You still need tight joints and plenty of glue.

Pat Germain
05-14-2009, 8:44 AM
For assembling the face frames, I think pocket screws or lap joints (as Lee suggested) are the way to go. For attaching the face frames to the carcass, biscuits are perfect: no nail holes.

As for the size of the biscuits, my PC biscuit joiner came with two cutters. One is very small. Is the Ryobi model mentioned even smaller?

Todd Burch
05-14-2009, 9:25 AM
Yes, the Ryobi is much smaller. Perfect for picture frames. It takes "mini-biscuits".

Todd Burch
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Speaking of utility projects, here's a garage storage cabinet I made for a buddy. I was in a hurry and this is how it went together. All pocket screws. It's been in use now for at least 5 years and is holding together fine.

Todd

Steve Southwood
05-14-2009, 3:05 PM
Well I guess it's up me now. You guys have given me some great ideas. Thanks

Chris Padilla
05-14-2009, 3:20 PM
For assembling the face frames, I think pocket screws or lap joints (as Lee suggested) are the way to go. For attaching the face frames to the carcass, biscuits are perfect: no nail holes.

As for the size of the biscuits, my PC biscuit joiner came with two cutters. One is very small. Is the Ryobi model mentioned even smaller?

The Porter Cable uses FF biscuits with the smaller saw blade...these are also perfect for picture frames...in most cases.

Jim Becker
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I used to use biscuits for FF assembly, but switched to pocket screws. I do use biscuits for alignment of the FF to the carcass, but that's a minimal use situation...just a few to help things along.