PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice,,,,,,

Jack Gaskins
05-12-2009, 8:15 PM
I sold my Jet 1014 in thoughts that I would purchase the 1220VS that is on sale at Woodcraft. But they are backordered until July. Well, around that same time frame I have some cash coming in that I had planed to use for a new PM 3520B. I would like to have a smaller lathe for pens and stuff and a large lathe for everything else. I realise you can turn everything on the 3520B but,,,,,? Should I forgo the 1220 and just get one lathe? Money isnt an issue thank god. In the past it used to be an issue and I was always buying the cheap tools because that was all I could afford. Now that life is different I can afford the better tools but I am still hesitant :confused:. How many turners here have two lathes? The thought crossed my mind to save the cost of the 1220 and add those funds to maybe purchase of a Oneway 2436 instead of the 3520:D????

Steve Mawson
05-12-2009, 8:44 PM
No brainer, go for the Oneway.

Jerry Rhoads
05-12-2009, 9:03 PM
Two lathes are handy a lot of times.
You can have something on one and while waiting for the dye or finish to dry, go turn a pen or stopper on the other.
I have four lathes, PM 3520 - Nova DVR - Vicmarc 100 with 1 horse motor and controller-and a Jet 1014vs, and all get used. The Jet pretty much is for taking to shows for demonstrating (easy to lift).

Jerry

David Walser
05-12-2009, 9:05 PM
Jack,

A second lathe can be nice to have (assuming you have the room). If you're like me, you don't always finish one project before starting another. Two lathes gives you the option to do a pen or two on the "back up lathe" while you wait for the glue to dry on the feature ring of that large hollow form on your primary lathe. Yes, you could take the HF off the primary lathe while the glue dries, but who wants to do that? When you're not using it as a lathe, your back up lathe makes an excellent buffing station. (It's also a handy flat surface to "mislay" tools, glasses, project parts, drill bits, etc. That's another topic.)

So, if money's no object and space isn't an issue, the Jet will be a great back up to your PM.

RL Johnson
05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I have two lathes. I too have a Jet 1014 but instead of selling it, I kept it. It sure comes in handy when the club in doing demos at sites where you can't bring a big lathe and some times it is just a whole lot guicker to set up the mini. I also believe the mini has made me a better turner because you sure can overpower it and good tool control in very important. If you have the room go for it. You can't have too many tools and he who dies with the most tools wins.:D

Jack Gaskins
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah guess everyone is wright. Might as well get both and have fun with them.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Or Jack you could be like me and have 3 lathes. I have the 1220, Rikon midi and Nova DVR XP. Can never have to many lathes.:D;):cool::rolleyes: I always have something on them all the time. I definitely would get the 1220 and the 3520.

Mark Norman
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I certainly wouldn't discard my little one when the big one is done. Having two has its benefits.

Get the mayo and a pen lathe if money is not an issue.

Jeff Nicol
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Jack, I have three lathes and wish I room for more! I might try to build a big architectural post and pillar turning lathe just to goof around with. Need to finish my CNC router table first, then on to more creations!

Jeff

Jack Gaskins
05-13-2009, 5:31 PM
Well, I swung by Woodcraft today after work and ordered the 1220VS with bed extension. Came to $613. Not a bad deal I think. Bad news is they are back ordered and I wont get mine until first or second week in July:eek:!

Tim Cleveland
05-13-2009, 7:02 PM
Two lathes are great to have. I would go with the PM over the Oneway, because the headstock is fabricated on the Oneway (as opposed to being made of cast iron) you will get alot more vibration, especially with deep pieces like hollow forms.

Tim

Allen Neighbors
05-13-2009, 8:46 PM
I have two lathes. Oneway 1640 w/2hp; and a Vicmarc VL100 Bench Model.
I wouldn't change anything at all. I feel like I'm blessed beyond compare. :)
Two lathes really do make it easy to do some things... like make a finial for a lid on Little Vic while I'm finishing the lid on the Mayo.

Gordon Seto
05-13-2009, 9:19 PM
If you are getting a full size lathe along with the 1220, probably you may want to reconsider the bed extension. That would make the 1220 a stationary lathe; too bulky and heavy for portability.

Reed Gray
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I had one lathe for most of my turning life, a PM for 8 years and now a Robust for 1 year (note, I have to have a sliding headstock, my lathe sits in a corner, and no room for outboard turning). Last fall, I took a 3 day workshop with Bonnie Klein. I now have a Jet 1220VS just for turning boxes. They do sell, and the threading jig wouldn't fit on my Robust without a tower about 7 1/2 inches tall to put the threading jig on. I have even considered having a dedicated lathe for the threading jig. The only thing I turn on the mini is boxes. I have only turned one pen for the Freedom Pens project. I may get around to doing other small things on the mini, but most of it is better on the Robust. I am not sure why you got the bed extension. For any long spindles, the larger lathe will work better. The bed on the PM is a bit short, and a bed extension for it would make some sence if you are turning longer spindles. 36 inches between centers means a 30 inch table leg will just go on it, but nothing much longer.
robo hippy

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
If money is no object, then consider Stubby, Robust, Vicmarc, VB. There are a lot of really good lathes out there. I debated going with a Stubby or Robust but in the end, the Mustard did everything I could ever possibly do. With the "extra" money I bought chucks, jaws, safety equipment, and tools.

When I bought the Mustard, it replaced a Nova 1624-44. I kept the Nova for a while but found it just took up space so I placed an ad in Craig's List. Sold one hour later.

I have 5 pen kits I bought 2 years ago. Don't know where they are. Recently, I began turning metal on the Mustard. In this instance, a smaller lathe would be more suitable because of the swing, but I'm talking 8-10" swing. Maybe not all that practical for wood.

So, why not just have one lathe for a while and see how that works. We turners tend to overbuy everything. Good for the economy but is it good for you? Extra cash? Give to those who are in need.

Burt