PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep up on wood!

Jeff Nicol
05-12-2009, 7:49 PM
Well today was the most beautiful day to cut down a nice Black Walnut tree that was given to the president of our woodturners guild here in town. I did not take enough pictures of the process but here is one of the tree standing and one of partial load in the truck. The big hunk in the back is half the stump. It was around 24" across and as you can see it has lots of crotches in it so we should have fun with it. We are going to cut bunch into pieces for everyone in the guild and have them turn something from the green wood from start to finish for the next meeting it should be fun!

Jeff

Mark Norman
05-12-2009, 7:55 PM
Cant wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Happy turnin:D

Todd Burch
05-12-2009, 8:01 PM
Looks like the walnut was just budding out. Why did they want it cut down?

alex carey
05-12-2009, 8:07 PM
Nice haul, sure the guild will like that.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Great gloat. I am sure everyone will be happy.

Jeff Nicol
05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Looks like the walnut was just budding out. Why did they want it cut down?
Todd, The owner was tired of cleaning up after it, they are very messy trees. There are 7 little ones still there and they are all nice and straight and look like they will all be nice trees. Not sure if he will leave them or clean up the rest of the little patch that the big tree was in, it is full of rasperry bushes and is a thick tangled up mess. So that is the story. It never would have made a saw log and the ants had started to get into a crack at the base. It will make some beautiful bowls though!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Jeff - congrats on the walnut! Should make for some beautiful turnings for everyone!

Jim Kountz
05-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Nice haul and great idea to share it with the group. How do I get my chunk?? LOL

Jeff Nicol
05-13-2009, 5:19 PM
Nice haul and great idea to share it with the group. How do I get my chunk?? LOL
Jim, If I send you one you will have to create the masterpiece of masterpieces! By turning it green we should end up with lots of wild warpy things! The main trunk will be put on the Woodmizer and made into blanks that will be auctioned off at the meetings to get some money for a couple of lathes for the guild, as we don't have any that belong to the guild. We are so new we need some equipment soon!

Jeff