PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanity (finished)

Dan Friedrichs
05-12-2009, 7:13 PM
A few months back, I asked for some design advice on a bathroom vanity I was planning to build (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109087) - taking those suggestions into account, I built the bathroom vanity shown below.

This certainly isn't fine woodworking, but it seems to fit well with the rest of the suite. Just a few observations I made while building it:

- Inset doors are hard :)

- I used the Blum Tandem with integrated Blumotion slides. They're very nice, but I'm not sure they're worth the expense. I really just wanted the soft-close feature, so they're probably overkill on a bathroom vanity, but the soft-close doesn't impress me as much as I thought it would - now, instead of the door "clunking" when it hits the end of the slide, it "clunks" when it initially hits the gas cylinder. It's definitely an improvement, I'm just not sure it's worth the expense...

- I used Silencia soft-close euro-style hinges on the doors. They are nice, easy to adjust, and dead quiet (you couldn't slam them if you tried). I would definitely use these again.

- I had a hard time getting the paint to lay the way I wanted - even with lots of thinning and an expensive brush, I was getting brush marks. I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I ended up using my $9.99 HF spray gun, and the finish looks great - no "texture", just flat black.

I also built the frame for the mirror above the sink. Nothing complicated there, just a frame with an inset bead (which you probably can't see in the pictures...).

Thanks to "The Creek" for the help! I'm glad to get one more project checked off the list...

Todd Burch
05-12-2009, 7:44 PM
Looks great! Good job.

Todd

Jim Rimmer
05-12-2009, 9:28 PM
This certainly isn't fine woodworking, but it seems to fit well with the rest of the suite. Just a few observations I made while building it:

Nice work. Don't put your work down; you built what you wanted and what would fit the decor you wanted. Great job.

Robby Tacheny
05-15-2009, 5:54 PM
Hmmm. . . looks great.

What's the model of the spray gun? I am serious!

-R

glenn bradley
05-15-2009, 6:09 PM
Dan that came out looking great.

Chris Padilla
05-15-2009, 7:01 PM
Nice 'n clean, Dan! How about some shots with the doors open? :)

John Keeton
05-15-2009, 10:54 PM
The vanity looks great, and I really like the flat black look. But, it sure does soak up the light on the pics!!

Jacob Griffith
05-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Very nice....Looks great.

Dan Friedrichs
05-22-2009, 2:04 PM
What's the model of the spray gun? I am serious!

-R

It's this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=86

I've used several other spray guns, but this one always just seems to do a good job. I'm sure the expensive HVLP setups produce a more professional finish, but for putting paint on smaller projects, I think it'd be hard to produce a better finish than this does. Plus, it's cheap :)

Sorry Chris, I haven't taken any pictures of the inside, but it's nothing special. And of course, the one serious measurement error I made was locating the hole for the sink drain, so I'm not sure I want anyone else to see the hole I had to hack into the back to get the drain lined up :o. It always seems to be the last cut that you screw up, right?

Robby Tacheny
05-22-2009, 3:51 PM
Thanks for the model. I am not sure it would work with my HF pancake compressor though. It will power a finish nailer ok though.

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Very nice results, Dan.

Sarge..