PDA

View Full Version : DC ? single use or can I run pipe?

Jim Ketron
08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Hello everyone I have a off brand DC It's not a big unit the specks are
collection capacity 1020 CBM/hr (whats this converted to CFM)
inlet diameter 4"
1 hp
Can I run pipe for this unit? or is it just as a moble unit?
Jim

Terry Hatfield
08-10-2004, 8:43 AM
Jim,

I'd say it's a single use machine. I don't think it will perfrom very well with a duct system. Need more power!!!

t

Joe Scarfo
08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Jim,

I have a 1 horse craftsman I share between 3 machines w/ very short runs of less than 15'.

I used pvc to get the input duct to chest high, plumbed to the miter saw w/ blast gates and ran std 4" corrugated pipe to the planer and router table.

Using blast gates to allow flow to one machine at a time.... it works great. The key for the 1 horse machine is short runs.

I have plans to use my 2 horse Delta to run to all machines but that'll have to wait for me to graduate from my 3 car gar shop to something like what you're putting up.

I've had the 1 horse collector for close to 10 years and it's still working strong, but as I mentioned, the key is shorter runs...

Good luck and enjoy the new shop!

Joe in Tampa....

Jim Ketron
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Guys

No big deal I will pipe in my tools and just roll the DC to them when I need to use each tool.(use a short hose) Im already used to doing that anyway. I will stick with that method until it finaly dies. Then build or buy a better unit.
Jim

James Carmichael
08-10-2004, 1:03 PM
Hello everyone I have a off brand DC It's not a big unit the specks are
collection capacity 1020 CBM/hr (whats this converted to CFM)
inlet diameter 4"
1 hp
Can I run pipe for this unit? or is it just as a moble unit?
Jim

Is that a Cummins, buy chance, Jim? I have one, ahd have the same questions as you. They rate it as 1020 CBM/HR, which by my calculations is almost right at 600 CFM.

Conversion:
1 meter = 39.36"
1 cubic meter = 60976 cubic inches
1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches
((60976 x 1020)/1728)/60 = 599.88 CFM.

Of course, we all know what CFM ratings are good for :rolleyes:

Now that and a buck might get me a cup of coffee. Or it could get me kicked out of some coffee shops.

I should add, I suck at algebra, so if anyone sees an error in my calcs, feel free to point it out:-)

Chris Padilla
08-10-2004, 1:33 PM
Jim,

I'm sure you'll grow tired of moving DC around so plan now for adding a good, serious DC. Check out this thread...it is long but a good read for DIY DCers:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9933

There are some good links so parse your way through it. I post a ton of pics there so be patient.

John Shuk
08-10-2004, 2:18 PM
Padilla the avatar chameleon.

Jim Ketron
08-10-2004, 4:30 PM
Thanks Chris

I like it!! I would love to make one (I love a good challenge) HHHHHMMMMMM!!
Jim

Bob Hovde
08-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Chris

I like it!! I would love to make one (I love a good challenge) HHHHHMMMMMM!!
Jim

Jim, I think you already have TWO challenges (other thread) and only have 7 months to get this shop up and running full speed! Of course, at the rate you've been going, it'll be done in 7 weeks! :eek:

Bob

Sparky Paessler
08-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Jim

I also have a 1hp (600cfm) collector. I did have it plumed in with short runs for 4 machines. And it worked OK but not great. Do you have the felt bags for yours. I got a set from Highland hardware and they really made a difference. I'm retiring my 1hp now that I have the cyclone so I could make you a great deal on the bags and some 4" duct, blast gates, and T's. (How about Free since you are just up the road from me!).

Sparky Paessler

Jim Ketron
08-11-2004, 5:50 PM
Jim

I also have a 1hp (600cfm) collector. I did have it plumed in with short runs for 4 machines. And it worked OK but not great. Do you have the felt bags for yours. I got a set from Highland hardware and they really made a difference. I'm retiring my 1hp now that I have the cyclone so I could make you a great deal on the bags and some 4" duct, blast gates, and T's. (How about Free since you are just up the road from me!).

Sparky PaesslerWOW! Sounds like a great deal Sparky I'll take it !!
I was just looking at a kit at Lowes when I pick up my new drill press
The DC had some cloth bags that came with it.
BTW hows the shop coming along with the remodel!
I sent you a PM
Thanks A Bunch
Jim