PDA

View Full Version : New lathe setup

Joseph M Lary
05-12-2009, 5:30 PM
Finally got my jet, pick it up last night and got it pit together , its like comming out of the stoneage with the old Rockwell/Delta homecrafter. The bushing for my chuck is to small so I got to ordered one. Build the shelf today now I have to come up with something to hold my tools,the metal basket is ok but I dont like it . :D Any tool cady Ideas

David Walser
05-12-2009, 5:46 PM
Congrats on the new lathe! I'm sure you, like most Jet owners, will love it.

As for the tool basket, I suggest you use it for a while before junking it. It seems to grow on people. It allows you to keep your tools within easy reach while allowing the chips to fall to the floor (or, in your case, to your shelf). If after using it for a while you do decide to get rid of the basket, you might choose to replace it with a shelf at about the same height made out of a similar material. That's one Jet owner said he'd done with his. Seems like a good idea -- but I've no idea how he attached it to the lathe.

alex carey
05-12-2009, 6:16 PM
congrats on the new lathe, search the forums and you'll find plenty of tool caddy ideas.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2009, 6:22 PM
Congrats on the new lathe.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-12-2009, 6:46 PM
WOWSER, WOWSER, WOWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're gonna LOVE it!

Bruce

Jim Underwood
05-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Somewhere I saw a cabinet built into one of these units...
The guy fastened it on with cleats or something. I remember it was real slick looking.
Now that I have one of these, I may have to look that up again.

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2009, 7:29 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Joseph! Have fun!

Don Carter
05-12-2009, 8:19 PM
Congratulations Joseph!
There is nothing like the smell of a new lathe in your shop!;)
Enjoy.

Tom Henry
05-12-2009, 8:36 PM
Congratz! Welcome to the Jet crew!

Terry Rothwell
05-12-2009, 8:45 PM
Congratulations!!!

Jerry Rhoads
05-12-2009, 8:54 PM
Congratulations Joseph

Jerry

Jim Kountz
05-13-2009, 1:12 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. There are some excellent ideas for tool storage here-->
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89602&highlight=lathe+cabinet

Ron Erickson
05-13-2009, 7:19 AM
Hi Joseph, congrulations on the new toy now get it dirty and turn turn turn. Ron

Kurt Bird
05-13-2009, 7:35 AM
Joseph,
Grats on the new addition. Go here: http://www.coeur-de-larbre.com/20424.html for a neat toolbox. Click on the projects tab and then go to lathe ballast/tool box. Hope this helps!
Kurt

David Hostetler
05-13-2009, 9:46 AM
Nice lathe. I am not sure this would work for your setup, but I have the HF 34706 (AKA Jet JWL 1236 clone) and was planning on peg board across the legs vertically with broom clips...

For now I am just setting my tools on the table of my band saw (which is next to the lathe). NOT real good for smooth work flow.

Thom Sturgill
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM
I can't show you a picture as I haven't built it yet, but here's my idea for a rolling lathe caddy. It holds a selection of gouges as well as pretty much everything else that I need. I expect to buy another lathe for my 'retirement shop' and my brother has one waiting that I may recondition. I will need to be able to move from machine to machine and keep my 'stuff' handy. I don't want to hijack the thread, but the design is a work in progress and suggestions are welcome.

By the way congrats on the new lathe! Is that the 2hp model?