PDA

View Full Version : Weird Wood and....

Jerry Murray
05-12-2009, 3:46 PM
So I found a local shop on woodfinder.com for some exotics. I'm glad as I have been buying from across the US and to have someone local, besides woodcraft is pretty nice.

Anyway I went over to their shop today and poked around looking at wood, chatting it up and all of that. So I find a piece of wenge that was something of a junk piece to them and bought it to make pistol grips with.

I get into the car and my hands feel like I've been playing with cactus. What's with this wood? Well after doing some reading it seems that evyone say "wenge is great...but watch out for the splinters." :eek:

I went to lunch and as I'm driving I hear a slight 'pop....pop...pop..." kinda like the cereal. It seems this wood is making noises...strange.

Ok so that's my .02 for the day.

BTW the baffle mod for my DC is doing EXCELLENT...my shop is ready to start making some chips and dust fly...finally.

Scott Rollins
05-12-2009, 8:08 PM
Are there any bug holes in it? The noises sound strange.

Peter Quinn
05-12-2009, 9:37 PM
I just made a reducer for a new bathroom door from wenge. I work with it now and then at work, and I ALWAYS wear gloves. Great wood, splinters are no joke, mine has never made the snap-crackle-pop noises though.

Jerry Murray
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that the wood being in a warm car might be changing. I don't know. It wasn't waxed or sealed in any way, as it was in the junk pile.

They had a cutting board with wenge as a border material...wow, just beautiful. So I'm looking forward to working with this.