PDA

View Full Version : Whoops...

Ken Higginbotham
05-12-2009, 2:14 PM
Had a slight mis-hap yesterday evening with the table saw and needed 3 stitches on a finger - :( Ya'll be carefull !

Greg Hines, MD
05-12-2009, 2:35 PM
Had a slight mis-hap yesterday evening with the table saw and needed 3 stitches on a finger - :( Ya'll be carefull !

Good thing it was only three. Good luck with that. I hope your tetanus is up to date.

Doc

Dell Moore
05-12-2009, 2:47 PM
So, has your adrenalin surge come down yet? :eek: I think mine lasted three days. ACK! I hate to hear this happened, but glad it was ONLY stitches!

Ken Higginbotham
05-13-2009, 6:32 AM
I had to get a tetanus shot :o

And it could have been a lot worse, could have lost a couple fingers :o LOML was in the shop and it scared her worse than me as I bleed like a stuck pig :eek:

Jason White
05-13-2009, 6:52 AM
I hate when that happens!!

Rod Sheridan
05-13-2009, 8:12 AM
Ken, glad to hear that your "learning opportunity" wasn't more serious.

Take care of those fingers for a while.........Regards, Rod.

Martin Shupe
05-13-2009, 8:14 AM
How much did the doctor bill come to?

How much for a Sawstop?

Would it have helped in this situation?

Just asking.

jeremy levine
05-13-2009, 9:23 AM
Martin's questions are excellent :)

John Thompson
05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
In lieu of how much were the doctor bills.. I would ask if you had your gaurd on the saw.. were you performing a sawing operation that took your hand closer than 6" to the blade.. were you using a push-stick.. etc.. and last but not least.. if not why?

Be careful over there off I-20 and if you want to drop by one week-end.. I will be glad to show you how to set that saw up with some field expedient gaurds so you don't feel compelled to take them off because they are in your way.

Glad you were fortunate to only recieve stitches...

Your neighbor...

Sarge..

Ken Higginbotham
05-13-2009, 2:19 PM
I had just ripped a 4x6 pc where I had the blade all the way up and was almost through ripping a second pc about an inch thick. About half way through I remembered thinking I should have lowered the blade as all I needed was about 1" for the second cut. I had a push stick on the back edge and the pc was about 6' long and I didn't have an out feed device so it was getting a little unstable as I was almost all the way through it. Then at the last second the push stick and work pc slipped forward and to the right and whoops. So I guess the lesson is lower the blade and have an out feed support. I suppose a blade guard would have helped as well but I really hate them...

Dell Moore
05-13-2009, 2:22 PM
OK, that's it. I've got the plexiglass, first item up for bids is to make my own bladedguard. The fell that makes the sharkguard is nice enough to make a template available, I'm making it!

Dell

John Thompson
05-13-2009, 3:25 PM
A blade guard would have probably kept you from getting cut Ken but.. in this case proper support front and rear.. a feather-board left of blade to help keep the stock pinned to the fence and a proper push-stick would have eliminated the need for a blade guard to become the saving factor, IMO.

I run my blade in the highest position with the exceptions of cross cuts always. I have absolutely no fear of doing that as I do run a plastic shied.. use a spring-board ( my version of a feather-board) left.. a crown gaurd on top of the splitter.. a hold-down on the fence and I have rear support. I use front support with anything longer than 5' also.

I'm not trying to get on your case, Ken. And I really am concerned about your welfare even though we are not related, etc. I really wish you would commit a few hours and drive up to the North side one Saturday as I can show you how to set your stock splitter up so you achieve the same basic goal Lee Styrone has done with his excellent Shark Gaurd and.. for around $30 which is not a large investment really considering.

I can show you how to make it quick release as Lee does his SG so you will be more encouraged to put it back on after doing a non through cut where you must take if off. I can also show you how to make a splitter for under $4 that can be used on a non-through cut. Bring a sheet of 2 x 4 3/4" ply and you will walk away with more push sticks in various lenghts and configurations for various cuts than you could imagine can be made.

So... the invitation has been extended and the "welcome mat" always stays out. If you can't come early.. I'll leave the porch lights on for ya.

Open the link below and take a look at the pictures. Just dis-regard the post with it. Think about those pictures and if you are interested to any degree.. email me as you have my email.

Regards from L'ville...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=924124&postcount=2
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=924126&postcount=3

Sarge..

Jim Summers
05-13-2009, 3:30 PM
I had just ripped a 4x6 pc where I had the blade all the way up and was almost through ripping a second pc about an inch thick. About half way through I remembered thinking I should have lowered the blade as all I needed was about 1" for the second cut. I had a push stick on the back edge and the pc was about 6' long and I didn't have an out feed device so it was getting a little unstable as I was almost all the way through it. Then at the last second the push stick and work pc slipped forward and to the right and whoops. So I guess the lesson is lower the blade and have an out feed support. I suppose a blade guard would have helped as well but I really hate them...

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad it wasn't worse. What is a 'pc'?

There are times I would like to run a computer through the tablesaw, though!

TIA

Ken Higginbotham
05-13-2009, 3:37 PM
Thanks John - Neat looking stuff in the pics. The bottom line was I just got in a hurry...

fyi - I ended up getting a SC 14" bandsaw last week. Meant to call you but time slips away. I got the saw that was on sale but didn't get the riser or fence and it was $499. Haven't had much time to tinker with it :o

Ken Higginbotham
05-13-2009, 3:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad it wasn't worse. What is a 'pc'?

There are times I would like to run a computer through the tablesaw, though!

TIA

Hum... As in '4x6 pc'? It was a 4x6 piece of pressure treated wood.

John Thompson
05-13-2009, 3:49 PM
Be careful buddy.... my wife just passed your way earlier today to visit her mom in Temple and one of her sisters that just flew down for a few days...

Good luck with the BS and if you need help with adjustments.. let me know and I will call.

Sarge..