PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Starrett Double Square

Gary Viggers
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I just got a new 6" Starrett Double Square. The blade is shiny steel which is harder to read than their satin chrome measuring tools (they don't make double squares with satin chrome blades). Does anybody have any advice on how to dull the finish (without damaging it) to make it easier to read? Will it eventually dull on its own with use?

Mike Henderson
05-12-2009, 1:04 PM
My experience is that any dulling of the blade only makes it harder to read the graduations.

Just for future reference, the Mitutoyo double squares come with the satin rule, as well as the ones Lee Valley sells (which are made by Mitutoyo).

Mike

Gary Viggers
05-12-2009, 1:54 PM
My experience is that any dulling of the blade only makes it harder to read the graduations.

Just for future reference, the Mitutoyo double squares come with the satin rule, as well as the ones Lee Valley sells (which are made by Mitutoyo).

Mike

Yeah, I was thinking about sending it back to Amazon and getting one from Lee Valley. I've got a woodworking class tonight; I'll see how much it bothers me.

Bruce Page
05-12-2009, 2:53 PM
You could try scuffing it up with some grey scotchbrite but you might be better off getting the Mitutoyo or Lee Valley.

george wilson
05-12-2009, 8:18 PM
Can you rub some blacking into the grads? I never found the shiny rules a problem.

Bill Houghton
05-12-2009, 9:25 PM
There was a recent discussion on another forum about the 4" double square not coming with the satin chrome blade, and Joel at TFWW was able to provide one.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I agree with George, as usual, and I've never really had an issue with Starretts shiney rules. Some of the others are a bugger though...

Maybe try it out before you dull it up?

Gary Viggers
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Used it last night...the chrome is definitely easier to read, but as long as the light hits the blade at the right angle it's not that bad (and it IS a very solid tool). Starrett said maybe rub it lightly with a green scotchbrite pad. I'll look into that 4" chrome one from TFWW (I've already got the Rockler 4" double square, but the graduations are not etched).