PDA

View Full Version : So now a planer table is needed..

Jerry Olexa
08-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Now while many of us are "gloating" over our new planers, a new need arises...a stand or table to hold it. Any ideas for a smart way to go from you experienced professionals?? Im thinking portability, manueverability, extension infeed/outfeed and even poss flip top to get dual use. Any potential pitfalls? Want to control snipe if possible. Thanks in advance.:)

Jay Albrandt
08-10-2004, 1:04 AM
I put mine on top of my tool box. I built a 2x6 frame to mount it to, and it gave me enough height so my TS fence can glide underneath for a full 48" rip.
I can move it enough to plane very long stock by using the side door pictured here. Works for me.

Frame is 2" angle 1/8" thick painted red to match the tool box. Plenty solid. No snipe after taking care to shim the melamine dead flat on the cross braces.

Good luck with your plans, there are many good ideas out there.

Jay

Gary Whitt
08-10-2004, 8:19 AM
I like that setup, Jay.
Looks to be at a comfortable height to work with. :)

Jerry Olexa
08-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Great setup Jay! Thanks for sending! And no snipe....as a bonus!:)

Bart Leetch
08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Here is a URL to an article about portable planer adjustment to help reduce or eliminate snipe by Dan Barber. It worked very well for me.

http://www.woodisourart.com/planer/planer.htm

I know this isn't about a planer table but I thought it may help someone.

I used to have a long infeed & outfeed table but in my small shop it took up to much room & this article allowed me to use the planer without the long tables & still not have any snipe. :D

Jerry Olexa
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks Bart I,ve already printed it and will use as shop reference.:)

Mac McAtee
08-10-2004, 3:25 PM
I guess I can hide a gloat in here. At lunch today I went over to one of the Lowes stores in Greensboro, NC and picked up a 13" planer. It is sitting in the back of my truck, out in the parking lot. Hope it doesn't rain before I can get home. Now I need to find a buyer for my two year old Ridged machine.

James Carmichael
08-11-2004, 9:21 AM
I guess I can hide a gloat in here. At lunch today I went over to one of the Lowes stores in Greensboro, NC and picked up a 13" planer. It is sitting in the back of my truck, out in the parking lot. Hope it doesn't rain before I can get home. Now I need to find a buyer for my two year old Ridged machine.

Wow Mac, were you unhappy with the Ridgid? Do you consider the Delta a better planer?