PDA

View Full Version : I Adopted a Bandsaw!

Jason Hanko
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Ive been stalking CL for a while, keeping an eye out, and I finally found a nice one to bring home...
Here she is! A Grizzly G0555 in great shape, complete with 6'' extension kit already installed. Not too shabby for only 3 Benjamins! :D:D:D Woulda' been even less but I had to outbid a few people. Still not too bad considering its got the added re-saw capability and I didnt have to pay shipping.
Had to buff a few rust spots off the top, but other than that she's in minty condition. Spent a few hours adjusting everything up, and had some fun cutting up shop scrap. Even with the sorry-a$$ blade that came with it, it had no problem re-sawing some 8'' pine.
Just ordered my buy 3 get 1 free Timberwolf blades from Suffolk (thanks for all the Creeker recommendations), and can't wait to see how well this thing works with a fresh blade!

Kev Godwin
05-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Jason,
Sounds like you saved a little over $200 over new if it is still in good condition. That is the exact same setup I've had for about 5 years and really like it. My wife calls mine - "your girlfriend"! :)

Chuck Isaacson
05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Jason, nice setup!! My father-in-law has the saw saw minus the 6" extension. Pretty good price too. I am headed to the Grizzly tent sale in June to see what I can find. You know you could just save me the trip and bring it to my house. I am right down the road in Sun Prairie. I am not home right now but I will be home this weekend to accept delivery. Thanks.

Chuck

Mark Norman
05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice saw Jason, I just picked up an older 17" Griz yesterday (subject matter for a new thread).
I hope I am as happy with mine as you seem to be with yours.

Bill Huber
05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I would say you kidnapped it, the only thing I see wrong with it is all that saw dust on it.

That is the saw I was going to get when I found a good deal on my Jet. That really is a good buy I would say.

Kev Godwin
05-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Jason, I should have mentioned this on my earlier reply but I forgot. You will enjoy that BS even more if you install a wheel brush on the lower wheel since that Griz model does not have one.

I posted for recommendations for such a thing about 6 months ago and received a lot of good responses. The best response that I went with was to heat bend a used toothbrush and mount it in the lower housing with two screws to the back of the metal enclosure. Works perfectly. If you do a search for that former post, you will find a response from a guy in Alaska that I used too. He posted great photos of it! I highly recommend it.
Kev

Jason Hanko
05-12-2009, 1:10 AM
You know you could just save me the trip and bring it to my house. I am right down the road in Sun Prairie. I am not home right now but I will be home this weekend to accept delivery. Thanks.

Sure Chuck, I'll run it out this weekend. Im pretty busy during the day tho, so Ill have to stop by really early...meet me in your driveway Saturday morning at 4 AM. If I dont show up Sat morning I'll totally be there Sun morning, same time... :)

I would say you kidnapped it, the only thing I see wrong with it is all that saw dust on it.
It actually came with some free sawdust hidden in the nooks and crannies, but I lost most of that when I rolled the windows down in LOML's SUV for the ride home with my new toy (yeah, she was real happy :eek: D'oh). So I planted some new sawdust for the photo 'cause I knew that otherwise Id get 47 posts from Creekers complaining that my saw looked too clean...

The best response that I went with was to heat bend a used toothbrush and mount it in the lower housing with two screws to the back of the metal enclosure. Works perfectly. If you do a search for that former post, you will find a response from a guy in Alaska that I used too. He posted great photos of it! I highly recommend it.
Found It! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105946&highlight=toothbrush+bandsaw) Thanks Kev, thats a great idea!

Chuck Isaacson
05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Sure Chuck, I'll run it out this weekend. Im pretty busy during the day tho, so Ill have to stop by really early...meet me in your driveway Saturday morning at 4 AM. If I dont show up Sat morning I'll totally be there Sun morning, same time... :)

Thanks Jason, I knew that I could count on you!!!!!!