PDA

View Full Version : Question about a lathe on the cheap

Jim McMillan
05-11-2009, 9:56 PM
Im looking at getting a beginners lathe, and I figured this would be the best place to ask. I would like to start with a few small things, like candlesticks and some large chess peices. However, I don't want to have to buy a new lathe when i step up to larger projects. I was looking at harbor freight, at their 12"x33 3/8" lather, with the reversible head. Along with a cheap set of tools, just to get started. I know its harbor freight, so I dont expect excellent quality, but will it stand up to a few years of occasional use, till I can move out and get something good? Thanks for all you input!

Mark Norman
05-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Harbor freight is junk BTDT!

I would spend a few more dollars and get something that will do the job and last you a while. I was at Woodcraft yesterday and was suitably impressed with the new Steel City granite machine :

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=842721&FamilyID=21206

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/842721.jpg

For only $320 it is solid and seemed very precision.

And do not buy the cheap gouges they wont hold an edge worth a bean and will turn you off on turning real quick. Just buy one good gouge and a scraper that are HSS.

Good luck Jim.

Gordon Seto
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
The Steel City has a major design flaw:
5 speed- 500,1350,2200, 3000, 3600 RPM
The 1st and 2nd speed is too far apart.
The 2nd speed is too fast for 12" bowl.
See my reply here:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111863

Tim Cleveland
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
My impressions of the steel city granite lathe have been very good as well. Also, like Mark said, go with just a few high quality tools and you will enjoy your self much more, very few people like sharpening. A 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge, parting tool, and a 3/4" roughing gouge (all of them HSS, not high carbon steel) would be good to start with. Hope this is able to help.

Tim

Curt Fuller
05-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I'd steer clear of the harbor freight lathes. They just aren't up to much. You really get what you pay for in a lathe. Maybe try your local Craigs list or other local want adds, or the want adds here a SMC and on the various woodturning forums. Look for a used Jet or Delta or something like that. Whatever you decide to get, go for something with a #2 morse taper in both head and tail sock and a 1" x 8tpi threaded spindle. Those two things are pretty universal on smaller lathes and it makes it easier to get chucks, drive spurs, live centers, and face plates.

Jim Underwood
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Seems to me you'd be better off buying a Jet Mini (1014 or 1220) or a Delta Midi, or a Rikon mini.

I've used a couple models of the HF lathes and I wouldn't want to go back from using my Jet mini, even though I've had a few problems with the Jet.

If you look, you can find good used models of the ones I recommend for even better price than the HF. And if you really look around you can get brand new ones for a good price. ToolNut in NY just offered a screamin' deal on Jets last week (which several of us took advantage of by the way). Then Jet has just come out with almost as good a deal. Look to your local Jet dealer. I know that Redmond and Son in Atlanta just advertised their Jet deals last week also.

When I bought my Jet mini, I paid something like $279 at Woodcraft, and Jet had a $25 rebate going on, and they threw in a bed extension ($60 value - which I don't need anymore) to boot. So I essentially got the thing for $250. (plus gas and driving time).

Yeah, lots of guys got their start with the HF, (and even liked them) but having been there and done that myself? I'd say get one of these others.

alex carey
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Jim we need to know how much your willing to spend, a pretty good rule of thumb is buy the best you can afford, we say this because 90% of the time you will end up upgrading in mere months. I had a 12" swing lathe and within a year I upgraded to a 20" lathe. Or in Mark's case he is now building a MONSTER lathe.
If I were you I would get a good quality lathe in the mini lathe area. Probably the Jet 1220 VS, Keep in mind you'll also need a chuck and a few other accessories. Jet is offering a good deal on the mini lathe right now, you could also go with the new Delta mini, I haven't heard a ton but what I have heard is pretty good.

Mark is right, as far as tools go, definitely buy quality, they will last you much longer and you won't have to sharpen as much, but I must say sharpening is an art and having a few crappy tools to learn to sharpen on is nice. I'm not really sure on your background. For all we know you might be a sharpening expert:)

Do you have a grinder yet?
Do you have a chainsaw or bandsaw?

Alex

Robert foster
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Jim: I have the HF lathe that you are thinking about. I have had no problems with it as a beginner. I'm far from an expert but if you look you will see that it is very similar to one on the Jet models, in fact it looks just like it. I'm sure that there are much better lathes out there for a price but I like mine so far. I haven't found anything I can't do with it. My advice (which is worth what it costs) is to consider the HF lathe as a learning tool and if you like the idea of turning go for a more expensive one.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Jim,

One thing you need to know. The lathe is the cheapest thing you will buy to start turning. The tools and accessories is what eats up the budget.

You will need a basic tool set that will typically include a roughing gouge, a spindle gouge, a skew and a parting tool. Then you will need to add a bowl gouge if you want to turn bowls.

You absolutely will need a grinder of some kind and most likely a sharpening jig of some brand or kind. Dull turning tools make the fun pure drudgery!

You will want sanding materials and eventually you will want a sander of some kinds...an electric angled drill or a air sander.

Do yourself a favor. Check the AAW website. Find a local turning club and attend a meeting and join.

Turners by nature are a generous lot and I'm sure many at the meetings will assist you in making some wise decisions.

Myself....I'd consider a Rikon or Jet VS lathe. You want to get the lowest/slowest low speed that you can. When you put an out-of-balance blank on and spin it up...too fast a speed can cause the lathe to walk across the shop.

The lathe really is the cheapest part of turning! I was given a lathe, tools and wood by the idiot turners here. I probably received $1100 worth of lathe and tools. 18 months later I was into turning about $3,00-4,000 out of my own pocket and then I bought a $3,000 PM3520B lathe to boot. But I sure do smile more these days.

Good luck!

Mike Null
05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I just got a notification that all Jet tools including lathes will have 20% off at Woodcraft on May 15-16. That would make the VS about $300.

Scott Conners
05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Toolnut has a huge sale on the Jet 1014i and 1014VSi right now -

Jet JML-1014 VSI for 320.00$

Jet JML-1014 for 235.00$

With free shipping!

*Really* good deals (CSUSA charges $375 for the non-vs) for a really good small lathe that will last and is very capable. The variable speed is nice to have, and I wish I did, but I felt the higher power of the belt and savings were worth the trade of convenience and opted for non-vs. It works really well, though I do wish I got the vs fairly often =)

I also suggest the Harbor Freight set of turning tools, they are a good value for getting the basic tools. You can do most any project if you just add a good bowl gouge (1/2" Thompson V) and possibly a 3/8" spindle gouge (I don't care for the 1/4" detail gouge in my set).

David Walser
05-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Jim,

Several of us have started with Harbor Freight's 34706 lathe. I still have mine (after 7 years) and use it regularly for spindles and small items. It also serves as my buffing station. I've found it to be reliable lathe that does a good job within it's limitations. I think it is a bargain -- when on sale, it can be had for well under $200 with use of one of HF 20% off coupons.

I used the lathe to make the lamp I discussed in the following thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90798 I now have a "real" lathe, a Woodfast with a 16" swing and a 2hp variable speed motor. It also has a short bed, which is great for bowls but too short for lamps. I've just received a new lamp base order from my wife (no paying customers, yet). The HF will be used for that lamp, too. In addition, I turned these pens on the HF because the Woodfast was set up for another project: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99455. I really like my Woodfast, but it doesn't turn a better pen than the HF!

Having said that, you should understand the lathe's limitations. It's lowest speed is "too fast" for bowls. (That didn't prevent me from turning some small bowls on the lathe before I bought the Woodfast.) The rotating head on the lathe is supposed to allow you to turn items larger than the 12" swing over the bed would otherwise allow. Leave it locked in place. It's hard to get the headstock realigned with the tailstock once it's been rotated. Besides, the lowest speed is way too fast for an out-of-balance blank that's too large to fit over the ways. Even if it weren't, the 3/4 hp motor is too small for anything that large. Finally, the lathe's Reeves drive is prone to break down. (All Reeves drives are prone to break down, not just the one on this lathe.) My lathe's drive has not given me any problems, but it's only a matter of time.

So, where does that leave us? I think the HF can be a great starter lathe. It allows you to taste most of what woodturning has to offer. Most any accessory to buy for it can be used on a "real lathe" when and if you upgrade. This allows someone to get into woodturning without risking too much money. Much of what you invest in, the tools, jigs, and chucks, can be used when you upgrade.

Is the HF as good a lathe as a Jet mini? No, it's not. But, for less than $200 you have have the HF lathe and a set of turning tools. (You'll still need/want to add a pen turning mandrel, a chuck, a drill chuck, etc.) There are many other starter lathes that are worthy of consideration -- including the Jet mini. Which one's right depends on a number of factors, including your budget. Just don't let someone talk you out of this particular HF lathe because of the store it comes from.

Good luck!