PDA

View Full Version : Norm episodes all squished

Rich Konopka
05-11-2009, 7:51 PM
Has anyone else been experiencing the reduced picture size for NYW? I have a beautiful Sharp LCD and the NYW and Norm is condensed with a border on all sides. I tried playing with the apect ratio and it does not matter. I record off of WGBH in Springfield Ma and have not had this problem with any other show.

Tony Sade
05-11-2009, 9:26 PM
NYW isn't broadcast in HD in my neck of the woods, so what you're describing is business (picture appearance and quality) as usual. I take it you used to get the show in HD and now you don't?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Jim Kountz
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
No but this weeks episode of the morris chair had horrible sound to video sync. Norms lips would move but nothing would come out for a couple seconds. He was driving the tenons home with a hammer and you could see the hammer make contact then the sound would come later. Kind of like watching someone hit a baseball from the stands.
Took a while for the sound to reach me!!

Pat Germain
05-12-2009, 8:44 AM
Rich, are you watching via a satellite box? If so, I want to be sure you're aware it also has an aspect ratio setting. I had this problem awhile ago. Some channels would be morphed, but no amount of tweaking on my TV would get it right. Turned out someone had accidentally hit the "ratio" button on the satellite remote.

Or, it could just be typical PBS technical boo-boos. A few weeks ago, NYW was broadcast with no sound at all on my PDS station. Nice. But at least they did show it. Weeks go by with NYW skipped completely on my PBS station. And NYW is the only woodworking program they broadcast.

Sean Troy
05-12-2009, 9:11 AM
You should have a Source button on your TV, try changing that, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, AVI. See what works better.

Rod Sheridan
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Or, it could just be typical PBS technical boo-boos. A few weeks ago, NYW was broadcast with no sound at all on my PDS station. Nice. But at least they did show it. Weeks go by with NYW skipped completely on my PBS station. And NYW is the only woodworking program they broadcast.

In my areas PBS have dropped The Woodwrights Shop and replaced it with some inane Woodshop with a trio of characters showing you how to make rebates with a router table.

Boy I miss Roy, his wit and his content..........Rod.

Peter Stahl
05-12-2009, 6:12 PM
In my areas PBS have dropped The Woodwrights Shop and replaced it with some inane Woodshop with a trio of characters showing you how to make rebates with a router table.

Boy I miss Roy, his wit and his content..........Rod.

We haven't had Roy for a long time on our PBS station. You can watch it via the internet but I don't remember what the link was.

Tim Morton
05-12-2009, 6:19 PM
You should have a Source button on your TV, try changing that, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, AVI. See what works better.

I am going to assume that only the actual source that is connected to his cable box will look good:)

Rich Konopka
05-13-2009, 7:57 PM
I have my TC connected to a Tivo HD. I have nt had this issue with any other program. I have also gotten the weird audio on NYW and al This old House.

Sean Troy
05-13-2009, 8:39 PM
I am going to assume that only the actual source that is connected to his cable box will look good:)
Depends whats connected to the TV ( DVD Player, Stereo, recorder ect...) . I use all three sources depending on what I'm using. Mostly HDMI 1

Ken Higginbotham
05-14-2009, 6:37 AM
I have my TC connected to a Tivo HD. I have nt had this issue with any other program. I have also gotten the weird audio on NYW and al This old House.

If it is a setting on a piece of your local hardware I'd guess you would experience it again the next time you record something else. On the other hand if it records correctly the next time you record some other program then I'd say it must be the station broadcasting it in the lower quality.